Old wall mounted electric heater, rented property

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by Hannahbanana76, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Hannahbanana76

Hannahbanana76 New Member

My two bed rented flat has old wall mounted electric heaters, see attached pic. I don't think they're storage heaters, just basic heaters. They're not great. The one in my small bedroom is mounted on an external wall, below a window. From an energy efficiency and cost effective standpoint does it make sense to just not use it, and buy an oil filled radiator instead, using it on the evenings and for an hour or so in the morning. Thoughts? Trying to cut down on the energy bills, but as a renter I don't have a lot of options.

Attached Files:

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The cost per hour of the oil filled radiator versus the heaters you have will be the same, they both use full rate electricity. The convector heater currently fitted will heat up quickly and cool just as quickly when it is turned off. It will have a tendency to give the small of dust burning when foist turned on for the heating season and some say it 'dries' the air. The oil filled radiator will heat up slowly and cool down slowly, it will give a 'better' heat, not more efficient but just feels better. Provided you do not allow dust to gather on it, it will produce no smell.

MGW likes this.
  3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Only way an oil filled radiator could be better is if the wall mounted is heating the wall.