Old wiring

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Billswan, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Billswan

Billswan New Member

My elderly neighbour has a broken pull cord fitting in the bedroom and asked me to change it for him, he doesn’t want to pay as he is on a small pension. I have bought him a two way pull cord but when I came to unscrew the old one, the wiring wasn’t the usual colouring on the wires. There are two cables coming through the ceiling, one has just a black wire the other cable has two wires one red and one black. These have been connected to the block separately but I don’t know how to wire these into the new fitting. The red is live and the black is neutral but what is the other cable wire and how do I fit them correctly.

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Pictures of existing wiring would help massively :)

3. Billswan

Billswan New Member

Attached Files:

4. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

put the single black in common of new switch and red in L1 and other black next to red in L2 they are all lives that is two way switching

5. Billswan

Billswan New Member

Many thanks;)

6. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

your welcome anytime

7. Billswan

Billswan New Member

Cord pull fitted, no problems. One very happy elderly neighbour a worry free Christmas for him. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.