(on site, 110v) Lighting

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by AlvyChippy, Dec 22, 2017.

1. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Hello again gents,

Having lately been meeting ever so many guys carrying cordless lights on them :cool:

WANT-NEED... would like one :p

Cabled ones are OK, cheap, etc, but pain to be dragging leads, bulky and rather fragile.

Looked around and for the love of god- can not find a single decent rechargeable in 110v. Can not understand manufacturers not adhering for 20 years old requirement for construction site to be 110v and even tool batteries, chargers (different makes, models, fitting, capacity etc- all in 240)- absolute pain!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:confused:

So would a site light that uses cordless 18v tool batteries with 110v charger be ok?

Been looking at the Bosch GLI 18V-1900 floodlight myself, got a 5 Ah battery, so should get up to 8 hours run time.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  3. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Never been on a site that didn't allow 240 battery chargers. Don't know about cordless lighting but the dogs site light has to be the Festool SYSLITE DUO. Yes very expensive, especially if you want the tripod as well but what a light!

Axminster were kind enough to take myself and a friend to their staff canteen (which was a large windowless room) to try out the syslite. It created as much light as all the florescent lights they had in the ceiling. If I had money to burn I wouldn't hesitate. Trying to work in poor lighting is a nightmare and is a catalyst for mistakes.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  4. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Makes sense @KIAB , as in your circumstances :)
    Perhaps will end up kicking all (or most) of mine in to the bin and get couple + (at least 3 batteries and .... one 110v (????) charger) of one make or the other

I have:
    Hitachi "torch" hat works ONLY with old style Ni-Cad 10-18v batteries.- great light!
    Rolson rechargeable torch-light (LED- build inn dead'ish battery), too weenie, but OK for darker cupboard or something.
    Sealey LED Torch- only one that is only almost OK for 8 hours- OK light, but still too small for IE having as a ligh over the bench
    Defender corded tripod light 110v- Halogen- have to turn it in to the wall or ceiling to reflect back on to the work area.

(needless to say chargers for those, then other tool chargers (2 types of drills alone), 2 types of nail guns etc + some other)- bloody mess!

TBH one light (even the proper defender one) isn't enough, have looked at defender rechargeable (~70), but again 240 charger...

Indeed, would love simple cheap rechargeable (110v) flood lights with LED, as halogen ones gives head-ache and normal ones "bulb ones" are nice type of light, but energy inefficient.

5. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

just watched the video- NIIIIICE!, bbbuttt its only in 240?

As it comes to what is allowed or not, yes, canteens have 240- all as one chock block with everyone's chargers
    My beef is exactly that.
    On site work, lucky already to get your cables with decent amperage for tools, but for the light to have them working and for recharge, instead of running back to canteen, would love 110v charger or even connected -charging and lighting at the same time otpion.
    Hope I am making sense?

6. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

This is worth a mention even though it's not 110v. Toptech folding bonnet work light from Euro car parts. LED's set in a perspective frame with telescopic arms, I clamp them to joists above if I'm working in a shell and it illuminates the entire area. Product code 529770050, it's now an eye watering £118, I bought mine on offer 4years ago for thirty five quid, down from £70 at the time. 240v Charger pin plugs into the light itself, Runs for ages off a full charge, never had it on longer than 4hours but still goes strong.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  8. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Clever!
    Thanks ;)
    :(
    very tempting and sensible option!
    I do not see a problem to get legs of my old tripod and bodge it up together ;)
    Not a biggy, Draper is ~62
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Rechargeable-Bonnet-Magnetic-Inspection/dp/B00AY050CE
    ... yeh for 35 I'd grab couple straight.
    bleeDyng 240... I assume it is the ones, that can work on a charger and charge at the same time?
    push come to shove- i will NOT invent the bicycle and will have to source another 110v-240v inverter...

Really got me thinking on that one mate, great idea, thanks again!

9. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

10. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

holly thread resurrection?

Smashed my "floodlight" today to smithereens, on the way back, stopped at screwix to get another one ( didn't get one, talked about earlier and regrettably price shot up on those at amazon), and in stock, they only had even bigger one
    ... and I believe shot myself in a foot not getting it, as tomorrow will have to get in to the loft and outside tile stripping etc- too dark, before 8:30 on outside and inside it would be plain dangerous to walk on joists with them small torches-lights I have...

Good value offers for rechargeable (ideally in 110) and in LED about guys?
    Thanks!

11. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

never mind guys, just ordered 2 of from toolstation ( under ~£11 each) to be collected tomorrow after 9:00!!!!???? hell I've done, will have to go back to collect them, but for delivery, it would've been for day after tomorrow....o_O
    will keep an eye for a cordless LED one anyway for the future
    Cheers!

12. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

One more update
    Bought 1of Lidl camping torch, has all the lights settings etc, front one is decent and side one, just adds that extra, when needed, not sure about as how it'll perform, don't want to read what it said on the box, but seems alright ... think should have gotten couple for just under £20 each

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The Lidl offer will be around again, give it a couple of months.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  14. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

If I was buying a new site light.

It would be this.

Looks fantastic.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  16. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

What i'm about to tell you all, has nothing to with site lights but has everything to do with 110 volts.
    In February i was asked to quote for fitting 12 kitchens. Magik i thought. Anyway, on investigation it was 12 kitchen on a select estate. The cheapest house was up for £750,000, At the time the most expensive wasn't up for sale but is now, £1.258m.
    As some of you might imagine i thought.............get in here boy lol :D
    Anyway, I went to the site talked with everyone i needed to. The thing was though, in all conversations no one was prepared to offer me any power. In other words, i had to get my own power supply. So looking around, i did quote £320 a week for a 10KVA genny. Which is about the average. This company that won't supply me power to fit a kitchen actually offered me £55 a week towards a power supply that would be hard put just to keep battery's topped up. The thing is though, they are charging a customer over £80,000 for a kitchen that actually cost them less them less than £18,000 including fitting. My thought on this is why do any building company's not supply proper power supplies to it's own site. In my experience, they make more than enough money out of us.....................they can just cough up and give us the power we need.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You've answered your own question there Kit, money. They don't want to pay the money, they'd rather force the contractors to supply power, less for them to worry about, no cost, no issues with testing or temporary certification, etc. Much easier to offer work whilst demanding the Serfs dig into their own pockets. To paraphrase BTIW, it's a case of "you want the work, then tug your forelock, peasant!"

AlvyChippy likes this.
  18. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Thing is though jord86, your sort of right if i was talking about a site with hundreds of houses. This site was 12 houses most of which ended up over £750,000. They were and are still pennypinching over nothing and still making a big profit anyway.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  19. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

fugg!!!
    as soon as such "deals" are out- watch out what else those beez kneez mahn's gone think of next :)

as for solution... be honest, undertaking 12 kitchens... "fair do" (acceptable expense) to spend few pennies and get own genny for a £350 + £8 a day for a petrol? (those are still legal) ;)

20. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

often (very much lately) I've been noticing absolute "country mile" in attitude between tradesman (real workforce) and management, as if we workers are dumb.... unfortunately