one cold rad following boiler change

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ken.K, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Ken.K

Ken.K New Member

My daughter has just had a new Valliant boiler fitted to her "open vented" heating system along with a pump, Magnetic filter some other bits and pieces and a power flush. Cost 4 grand. I don't understand why Plumber has left her with one cold rad saying it's blocked and she needs a new one when that rad was working perfectly well before the work. When he drained down that was the rad with the draincock he used and he then took that rad off the wall when he did the power flush? don't know why. Now everything seems fine except for that one rad that won't get hot. Any advice welcome.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Close every other rads TRV ( don't touch their lockshields),see if problem radiator now heats up.

3. Ken.K

Ken.K New Member

Thanks, I'll try that when I go round on Monday. I don't think all the rads are fitted with a TRV in which case how do I know which side to close off? Are you thinking "air lock" somewhere?

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If no TRV close the wheel head which often has a + and - sign. Lockshields usually have a domed top. If unsure show us a pic of both rad valves.
    Closing all the other rads will concentrate the flow from the pump to the problem rad ,shift any air lock in the process.

5. Ken.K

Ken.K New Member

Thanks again, I will certainly try your suggestion tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

terrymac likes this.
  6. Ken.K

Ken.K New Member

Thanks terrymasc, that worked like magic and all 11 rads are now working. I had to insist though because plumber was still telling us that one rad was blocked and beyond repair. All's now well so once again thanks for your help

Not Too Sure and terrymac like this.
  7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Glad your sorted mate , thanks for letting us know .