One Ethernet cable for two connections

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Proudarse, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Proudarse

Proudarse Member

Hi All

I had an electrician around earlier today to quote on a job to have two double ethernet faceplates fitted, one downstairs in the living room and one upstairs in the bedroom directly above the living room, 25 mm chase in the wall using a 20 mm conduit.

I wanted two ethernet cables connected between the two faceplates but he said this is not necessary as just the one will do.

I'm assuming this means he will split the 8 solid copper cores inside the one cable and use 4 cores on each socket, but if I understand correctly this will limit each port to 100Mb connection instead of Gb connection?

Thank you

KIAB likes this.
  2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You need all 8 cables for cat 5/6 afaik. Why not run in two, it's just as easy as running in one and it's hardly a cost issue. Are you sure you have understood the spark properly?

Proudarse likes this.
  3. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Ever heard of wireless ?..lol
    Cat 5e or cat 6 ?
    He is basically correct... BUT
    The high twist ratio of cat5 E cables is better than on cat5...and over short runs (10m ) transmission speeds will be very good.
    cat5e is good for 1000mbps...if supported by suitable hardware etc.
    As you are putting in conduit it would be silly not to use two cables to allow for redundancy/faults.
    RS

Proudarse likes this.
  4. Proudarse

Proudarse Member

Chaps it's 5e solid copper and I'm providing the cables.

I'm definitely having two cables pulled through so one for each socket.

From what I've been reading using one cable split across both sockets reduces the bandwidth so don't see why anybody would want that.

I'm gonna call him now!

Thanks for your help.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Cat 5e is cheap, pays to lay extra runs, & you need all 8 punch downs connected in socket to get gigabyte speeds.

Cat 6 is rated at 1Gbps,whereas Cat 6a (darn expensive) will futureproof you to 10 Gbps, but both cables are harder to work with,especially where you have bends,as it's thicker.

Proudarse likes this.
  6. Proudarse

Proudarse Member

Another chap from checkatrade just left and he quoted £120 for the whole work which I think is fantastic.

He will insert the single back box downstairs and upstairs, chase the wall and bond it. I will then need to get a plasterer to skim over it and then also buy the faceplates and terminate myself.

I'm thinking of buying this https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneide...MI6vbSusDU3wIVCpPtCh16uAGxEAQYAiABEgIYE_D_BwE

Will that be ok? He said he will fit a 35 mm single back box for extra room as opposed to 25 mm.

Thanks All

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Proudarse likes this.
  8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

And remember folks, we need min. 50mm separation between LV and ELV.

Lets keep it safe out there.

Proudarse and KIAB like this.
  9. diy_dave

diy_dave New Member

Proudarse and KIAB like this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Used them here, no complaints,did drop a clanger, by only installing a double & not a quad in front room,but got around problem by using a 5 port network switch.:)

As to the Schneider ones from our host price is either a typo, or it's for a 10 pack.

Proudarse likes this.
  11. Proudarse

Proudarse Member

Hi Coloumb, can you please explain in detail what you mean? Sorry I'm not an expert at this although I can punch down the wires into the sockets.

Thanks

12. Proudarse

Proudarse Member

KIAB and DIYDave,

Yep they sure are expensive and I will be buying the ones from Kenable which is where I got the cat 5e from.

This is the link to the cables I bought from them kenable CAT5e UTP COPPER Ethernet Network SOLID Cable Reel 24AWG 100m https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LPUOTWE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bO5lCb99VFYQ4

Edit: also found these which seem to have even better reciews pro signal CS13673 RJ45 Face Plate Wall Sockets Cat6 Double 2 Port with Keystones Jacks https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003OSRHNI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rR5lCb47Q51NC

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good cable.

As to face plates, bet you couldn't tell the difference between the two, if in front of you, save your money, I doubt there any difference between them.

Have a few different makes here,some cheap, others expensive, all look the same, all do the same job,if it weren't for the name on them, you wouldn't know they are different makes.

Proudarse likes this.
  14. Proudarse

Proudarse Member

Glad you think so I was getting a bit worried for a moment thinking I must have bought a lesser quality cable.

I've now decided I'm gonna to install a 3 port face plate but the question is how big should the conduit be for 3 ethernet cables?

I want to future proof a little bit in case I did want to pull through some CAT6A cables in the future.

I'm assuming a decent CAT6A solid copper cable will be about 8mm in thickness so that would total 24mm, which means I'd need a conduit size of 30mm and a wall chase of 35mm.

Does that sound right?

15. Proudarse

Proudarse Member

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Would always go with quad if front room, here I have tv, SkyQ, DVD player,Media PC, all have ethernet connection,(not a fan of wireless connections,plus thick walls kills signal)

Proudarse likes this.
  17. Proudarse

Proudarse Member

That's the main reason I'm doing this madness is due to poor WiFi reception in my house.

A quad it is, but going back to the conduit size, is 8mm thickness correct for a CAT6a cable?

If so then I might as well plan for 4 cables which means 32mm in total so I'd need a conduit size of 35mm or would that be a bit tight?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Oval conduit vary between 32mm to 38mm in size,depending on make, tape 4 cables together, should feed down conduit, could alway drop a pull cord down conduit to help pull cables through.

If you got cupboards, can use trunking in them to hide cables, can save chasing walls.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/30084-38mm-pvc-oval-conduit-white-3m-length

Proudarse likes this.
  19. Proudarse

Proudarse Member

I discussed it further with the electrician and we settled on two 20mm conduits side by side as these will go directly inside the back box which is fine by me. I can now have a quad setup with the option of going CAT6a in the future if ever required.

Thanks to all for your contribution and guidance. This forum is just the best.

I would still like to hear from Coloumb regarding LV and ELV as I'm not sure what you meant and Google is just getting me more confused although it doesn't take much to confuse me if you hadn't already noticed! :p

Cheers

20. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

LV is mains and ELV is comms, bell wire, alarm cable that kind of thing. They need to be separated by 50mm min. or a suitable barrier between them if not possible.

Low Voltage and Extra L.V.

Proudarse likes this.