Open in French doors to Open out.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Scottt03, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Scottt03

Scottt03 New Member

Hi I've recently moved in and have a set of open inward french doors. These are relatively new dated 2018 and match the existing windows.

We've had a few quotes of around £2500 to replace with a new equivalent to open outwards.

We need these to open outwards to allow more space for our dining table.

It seems an awful waste to just replace these doors given the age. Is it possible to essentially spin the frame around allowing them to open outward?

or am I just being daft?

Cheers

2. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

Doors have an outside weather face, and an internal face. The frame is made to weather as it is, and probably the result of reversing it would be disappointing. The door joinery is made, and the glazing fitted, in such a way that the weather will be shed by the outer face. If the doors were reversed, the internal face would not last well at all. It might be possible to rehang the doors so they opened outwards, but the rebate would still be the wrong way, with the latch on the wrong side, making he slave door open first.
    What you suggest is broadly possible, but probably much more trouble and expense to make a decent job of than fitting new doors.
    However, if your existing pair of doors are double glazed, and in really good condition, you could well recoup a grand or more by selling them on a well known internet auction site, which might alter the cost enough to make the replacements affordable.
    Or get a new dining table....

3. Scottt03

Scottt03 New Member

Hi @Rosso thanks for getting back to me. I fear I may have put this into the wrong "Talk". The Doors and UPC and not wood.

I suggested a new table but its got sentimental value, apparently o_O

4. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

Doors that drain into the diningroom might not be a good idea.

5. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

You could block up the existing drian holes and router in some on the outside face, if the glass is "special" you might need to turn it around.

6. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

If you turn doors around the beads will be on outside

7. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I have French doors that open inward, got a step and drop so would look a bit strange with doors opening out a couple of feet above ground, I just checked and ginger tuffs is correct, but on mine I think the hinges would prevent reversing them, mine close into the outer frame which is slightly wider.

Those came made in the frame.

8. Scottt03

Scottt03 New Member

Thanks, everyone. Thought i was being a bit dense. Ive never really fancied a water feature in the dining room:D Guess ill try and sell them online to save the waste and recoup son cash.

@ginger tuffs Total newbie question but what do you mean by the beads?

9. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

The beads are what hold the glass unit in normally on the inside to stop undesirable from taking glass out