opinions on fixing skirting boards etc

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by !!, Dec 14, 2008.

1. !!

!! Active Member

looking at using spax 4.0 x 50 mdf screws and yellow plugs for fixing stain grade skirting to brick walls.

small head = tiny hole to fill rather than wood plugs

I all ready use the 3.5 x 45 tongue tites to fix to stud walls.

i know they will be useless for lined walls and ideally could do with being 10mm longer

any thoughts?

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Should still use red plug.

Mr. Handyandy - really

3. !!

!! Active Member

I'm trying to keep the hole size down though and use wood filler instead of wood plugs

4. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

are you using a stainable filler GONZO? personally id go with reds and cut fillin plugs :)

5. !!

!! Active Member

would be using the stainable filler I use to cover nail holes in architrave.

I'm going to give it a go as if the results are any good its quite a bit less time consuming

6. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

cant beat wooden plugs though!

7. !!

!! Active Member

Yeah no arguements that they are the quality way to do it I'm just looking for a quicker way most skirtings have a groove to hide the top fixing.

Most softwood skirtings I fit never get sanded before staining by the customer

8. Mr. Handyandy

Plunge your masonary bit straight through the skirting(size 6mm for brick, 5.5mm for breeze)and you will find the wood hole is plenty small enough to take the screw-head(probably 8mm head). Red rawplug tap into wood until flush, insert screw and then bash through wood into brick, just enough into the brick to allow you to screw it up tight.

Mr. Handyandy - really

9. !!

!! Active Member

no the screws have a small head like the tongue tite hardwood flooring screws

10. Mr. Handyandy

And a 4mm thread ?

Mr. Handyandy - really

11. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

"And a 4mm thread ?"

What are you on about ??? He has already said that he is using 3,5 mm screws, so yellow plugs are fine. What's the problem *** ?

12. Mr. Handyandy

"looking at using spax 4.0 x 50 mdf screws"

(see opening post)

Mr. Handyandy - really

13. !!

!! Active Member

14. fooman

fooman New Member

plenty of gripfill ;)

15. dan

dan Guest

I bought my boards here and also bought plenty of adhesive with the boards, worked a treat but you have to use enough!!

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

16. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Three cheers for dan for opening up this ancient 2008 thread.  Hip Hip.............

Lucia