Opinions on Flat Roof Finish (pics)

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Gnasher123, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Gnasher123

Gnasher123 New Member

Just had the flat roof of an extension finished with 3 layers of torch on felt. This was 4 weeks ago and since the very hot weather the edge of the felt has started to peel up from the lead.

Is there away to prevent this from happening? Or has it been finished incorrectly at the edge?

Cheers

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pretty poor job.

Would have done it in GRP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I don't know how the edging should be finished against the lead, I can't imagine felt will stick to lead very easily and even more difficult with such a short amount going over that ledge.

Did the fitters provide any kind of warranty?

4. Gnasher123

Gnasher123 New Member

They will come and put it right, my concern is it will be stuck down again only to come up next time we get really hot weather. I would be interested to know if anyone as an opinion how it should have been finished onto lead. Perhaps a larger overlap would help against it peeling back?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ain't got a lot of timber for fixing felt to, could have used mopstick on flat roof & taken felt over that & down to lead,but I think your alway going to get problems with it.

6. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

He should have had a GRP profile of galv metal under the felt I stead of felt flapping on the lead

7. The felt is not supposed to be bent and taken over onto the pitched roof. The felt is adhered to the lead on the flat roof and the lead then carries on to shed the water onto the tiles.