Opinions please on patio repointing

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Boothros, May 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Boothros

Boothros New Member

I've a small, slabbed yard which I intend to repoint before painting over, my only real constrictions being weather and time. I've studied two methods, dry brushing and directly applying wet mortar and to my mind, dry brushing appears to be considerably easier. Is their any particular disadvantage to dry brushing and if not, why do some builders go the the trouble of pointing with wet cement, please?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The size of the gap between the slabs is a factor.

Boothros likes this.
  3. Boothros

Boothros New Member

They average 10 - 12 mm, Astramax

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I always did wet pointing myself.

Boothros likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not a wet mix as such...more damp than wet. Being damp it does not stain the slabs, put the mix into the grooves and compact it in with a piece of suitable thickness ply or suchlike works for me, once done a piece of hosepipe is as good as anything to finish the joint top neatly. ;)

Boothros likes this.
  6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Wet pointing is vastly better but not WET. You want your mortar damp enough to just cling together like a snowball. You then fill the joint, tamp down and repeat. Iron the joint off. Wet mortar will stain the slabsm damp won't but you have the moisture in the mix so it can properly hydrate,

koolpc and Boothros like this.