Optimum length of time to leave MC3 cleaner in system ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Greg P, May 22, 2020 at 12:44 PM.

1. Greg P

Greg P New Member

Hi all,

I’ve just done a full drain down on my system to fit some new rads and TRV’s. While I was at it I installed a Magnaclean Pro2 and today have put in 2 loads of MC3 cleaner (via the Magnaclean) - I have 23 rads incidentally (quite a few double) which is why I double dosed. So Adey say MC3 starts working within an hour and you can leave in for up to a month, but is there an optimum length of time after which there is no advantage to leave in any longer ? The complete Heating system is around 12 years old and has been dosed with inhibitor a couple of times over that period.

thanks in advance,

Greg

2. dcox

dcox Active Member

I’d leave it in for the month then but clean out your magnaclean often while it’s in there.

Hans_25 and Greg P like this.
  3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

As docx says, Magnaclean will need cleaning often especially to start with, you can see how dirty it gets over the days and probably after a week or so will be significantly clean.

Greg P likes this.
  4. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

Have said it many times with Magnaclean:

Once an hour for a day
    Once a day for a week
    Once a week for a month
    Once a month for a quarter
    Then once every few months

Have seen it happen that there is a lot at the start, then it tails off for a few days then suddenly the crud levels increase dramatically.

Greg P likes this.
  5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Just make sure you do actually run the heating at some point for the cleaner to actually work.
    Up to you how you do it but o would want it circulating for a good few hours.

Greg P likes this.
  6. Greg P

Greg P New Member

The hot water is on every day so parts of the system are getting a daily clean but with this hot weather the central heating not on for obvious reasons. However, I’ve latched the 2 port heating valve open and hot wired a supply to the pump temporarily to allow me to run the pump (and the rads) with the boiler off. I’ve had this running for 4 hours now continuously. Doing a clean would be much easier to do when it’s not over 20 degrees every day.

7. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

I would still run the heating for an hour each day as expansion/contraction will help break off any stuck crud. Time it for 5:00 AM or 11:00 PM

Greg P likes this.