Options for connecting a bathroom heater

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Theo70695, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Theo70695

Theo70695 Member

We have a shower room and a bathroom upstairs. I would like to fit a 2kW heater in each one. There is no ring main in the loft.

Here are some options, some (all?) of which might be illegal so I would like your advice.

1. For one of the heaters I could take a switched fused spur from a convenient socket upstairs. The cabling will unobtrusively go up to the roof is a cupboard. I note that this rarely used socket is already on a spur but I feel that a switched fuse would properly protect the wiring.
    2. That leaves the other heater and my only option there is to spur off a ring and accept the disruption of a cable going up the wall.
    3. Another option could be to take a feed off the shower cable. Is this a practical and legal option?
    I have always preferred radiant heat in a bathroom and in the old days these were considered safe. What are people's thoughts now?

N

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Don't use the shower feed, the other options sound ok although you shouldn't add a spur to that socket which is already a spur, either change the socket to a fused connection unit or fit a plug to the heater feed cable.

3. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a radiant, so long as it is placed outside of the zones