Orange peel texture or air bubbles?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Linegb, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Linegb

Linegb New Member

Hi all!

I painted my bedroom over the weekend and have noticed patches of an orange peel texture, which up close looks like tiny dried paint bubbles. I can’t pop/burst them, but I can see that there are some tiny cracks forming. I’ve painted three walls and the worst one has had two coats - one wall is spotless and the other has two or three patches, compared to several on the other.

I assume I need to sand them down, prime and paint again?

Any idea what could have caused this? There’s no damp issue. I sanded down one spot and I’m taken down to the primer, not all the way to plaster. I cleaned the walls before priming, but did leave a week between priming and painting.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Sounds like the paint could have been a bit thick, did you dilute it? What paint was used?

3. Linegb

Linegb New Member

I used Farrow & Ball James White. I didn’t dilute it.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

What does the tin say about diluting? You want consistency like runny syrup. I used Dulux Trade and diluted about 10%.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Farrow & Balls up. Wrong roller type, paint too thick, roller loaded incorrectly, too fast in application technique, unsealed wall etc. :(

Dr Decorator likes this.
  6. Linegb

Linegb New Member

Thanks both! Tin doesn’t say anything about diluting, but the PAS says to dilute if plaster is new (which it isn’t). Think it’s got more to do with application... But sanding back and painting again is the way to go? I don’t think it is the roller (Hamilton Perfection 12”) as one wall is without any issue.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Always stir paint very well.

8. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Astra is good at stirring things up, he's had a lot of practice.

Severntrent likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thanks chum.

Hans_25 likes this.