Order of work

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by ugley_matt, May 10, 2006.

1. ugley_matt

ugley_matt New Member

Hi,

Just a quick question on the correct order for painting a room.

I say ceiling - walls - woodwork

The other half, whos father was a decorator insists its

ceiling - woodwork - walls whcih doesnt make sense to me.

2. 'The other half, whos father was a decorator'

WAS a decorator, mmmm I wonder why he isn't one now?

3. ugley_matt

ugley_matt New Member

I meant his father, her grandfather. doh

4. Whoever he was, your way is right and his WAS wrong, lol

5. bobbie-dazzler

bobbie-dazzler New Member

Your right,her grandfather is right if you were putting up finish paper, cause you would get all the gloss work done before you hang, but as its paint, you do the topcoat last, you can always whack a coat of undercoat in between, but your top coat/gloss comes last.

6. Bigplumber

Bigplumber New Member

Ceiling, topcoat then walls. Reason is you get better cut ins with emulsion and if you get a bit on the gloss is easy to wipe off. Where as if you ge gloss on the emulsion is a pig to get off.

7. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

> Whoever he was, your way is right and his WAS wrong,
    lol

so he's dead now?

8. Telmay

Telmay New Member

if walls are to be papered - ceiling gloss wallpaper
    if painted finish on walls, ceiling walls and then gloss - cutting in emulsion and then wipe off woodwork is not the right way, but if your not a seasoned pro then do what works for you even though some would frown at the practice. As other would say its all about being efficient.

9. Bigplumber

Bigplumber New Member

Which ever way you do it if you get the result then fine, but my grandad, dad who were all decorators for a living always glossed then emulsioned, they just covered teh glossed bits up. Seems logical to me. My brother is a painter and decorator in the States and thats the way he does it, he's been painting for 30 years.

10. Telmay

Telmay New Member

OK - this debate could run for years and years. Maybe your grandad was originally told wrong and he just passed it on through the family, a bit like bad eyes or back trouble.

Telmay

p.s. this is humour and not a dig at your family who are more than likely great tradesmen