Order online for collection at Trade Counter?

Discussion in 'Screwfix Trade Counters' started by petroldave, Jul 13, 2007.

1. petroldave

petroldave New Member

This would be a great facility.

Please work out how you can offer it.

It would save time and ease congestion at the trade counters if we could just go straight to the collection area having ordered and paid online.

Other businesses offer it (like Novatech in Portsmouth), and I use it frequently.

2. ..caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalm-down man..what do you think this Co. is?...Argos?

3. Heretic

Heretic New Member

It would save time and ease congestion at the trade
    counters if we could just go straight to the
    collection area having ordered and paid online.

Overheard one of the staff at my trade counter saying that you can get stuff delivered to them - and you dont pay for delivery that way. I dont know if you have to go in and order it from the counter, as oppose to online. The counters do have phone numbers, however...

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I have tried phoning but the staff at Poole can't seem to understand anything without the product number.

A good TRADE business fulfills the following:

1. Essential items are always in stock.

2. Knowledgeable staff able to deal with Special Orders etc.

3. Speedy purchase and collection of goods.

Failure of any of the above means that tradesmen will go elsewhere and you are just another incompetent DIY shed.

5. John the Beeman

John the Beeman New Member

It makes sense for online orders to be delivered to the trade counter:
    We cannot be sure someone will be at home to take an order, and the carrier wil not leave the package unless signed for;
    Not all items in the catalogue are in stock at the trade counters;
    On-line-only offers will be available;
    It will save a lot of time wasted queueing to be served;
    From Screwfix's point of view, it will encourage visits to the trade counter, with consequential impulse buying. Also, deliveries would be made in the normal stock-replenishing van, so the delivery cost is reduced.

Ideally, the on-line system would check for availability at the selected trade counter and pick from there, with only those items not in stock being delivered, but that would be a lot more complicated to design and program. I would be much easier to use the existing system. However, given the times we are in I am surprised that such a system was not developed when the trade counters were being started up.

(For info, I was a computer systems designer for 20 years so know what can - and cannot - be done if wished. In fact, for a large fee, I would be prepared to help with the design of a suitable system).

6. CRS - Ross

CRS - Ross New Member

Ordering online and having it delivered to a designated trade counter is logistically a doddle, based on my experience of warehouse and shop stock control... here's how I see it...
    The TC stock is computer controlled, so when any item gets below the acceptable threshold of what is to be held there, it is automatically re-ordered and sent to the TC. This should be already in place to prevent the need of the saturday girl being left to sort out the ordering because everyone else has gone to the football!
    If an order online is to be collected from a TC, the order is effectively 'picked' from the TC's stock levels, any items not available will automatically finish up on the restock level and delivered to the TC where it is thrown in a plastic box waiting for you to collect it.
    Make sense? Now send me my reward!! used notes in non-consecutive numbers will be ok!

7. harry-the-hound

harry-the-hound New Member

Unlike some workers I have employed, I usually aim to get ALL the parts required for a job on site, thus avoiding wasting diesel and time, having to pop out to get the missing item(s). Screwfix's extensive range makes this possible. Sometimes I can get stuff delivered direct to the customer's site, thus avoiding double handling.
    However, the weak link can be the delivery service, though including the mobile number and directions on the order does help. On several occasions, I have found myself chasing round the county because the delivery driver cannot use his sat nav (?!) or worse has sneaked a "sorry you were not at home" card into my mail box, rather than walk to the door and ring the bell. One notorious time, I caught Parcelforce doing a 3 point turn in the road and then nearly signed a tablet for the delivery, only just in time noticing the big box said "one of two" - never did get the other one, though Screwfix were pretty prompt in sending out a replacement and Parcelforce sent me a claim form about 5 WEEKS later.
    So collecting from the local counter @ 07:00 would be a good alternative for me, a one man band.
    I have already bounced the idea off a nice woman on the order-line in Yeovil.
    Part of our conversation went like this:
    - You have just opened a trade counter locally, I've called you because you don't appear to publish its 'phone number, what is in it for me (other than a 10% introductory discount)?
    "It is really intended for local tradesmen to call in and collect their basic needs - it works a bit like Argos".
    - But it cannot possibly store your full range - the joy of Screwfix is that it is usually a one stop shop. Can I place an order for everything and collect it from the local trade counter ?
    "That is at the discretion of the local manager"
    - So I've got to go and chat him up then.
    - Do you do your own deliveries from the Midlands daily and as you have opened up more or less next door to B&Q combine the two ?
    "(Shudder?) No we still operate as distinct businesses"

========================================================

On the subject of Argos, I needed a particular thing as a
    present for Xmas '05 and tracked it down to Argos at Lakeside (1 mile north of the Dartford tunnel). I was able to pre-order on the net and swoop in the next morning at opening time. I was out again in 5 minutes, which must be an all time record.

8. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Screwfix seem to run their TC on a minimal staff, minimal overheads basis.

Maybe once they have rolled them out they will expand into the sort of service that tradesmen expect?

At the moment they are like Argos used to be - turn up, cross your fingers and pray that they have something you want in stock!

9. bossyboy

bossyboy New Member

you are assuming they have the space to store these orders .

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

No space?

A minute ago on another post you were bleating on about massive overheads!

11. bossyboy

bossyboy New Member

"bleating" i think you are confusing me with your friday night dates cptn pukey !

12. pls

pls New Member

Here's another example of how stupid the system is. I went into store to order an item and (as expected) was told it was out of stock. I couldn't order it for collection from store because they said it 'might' be on the next delivery to store and to phone back tomorrow.
    Left empty handed and phoned the next day, surprise, surprise - item wasn't in and I would have to come down to store to order one. How friggin stupid is that???

Also in the Nottingham store they had printed small business cards with a phone number for 'key customers' on. Calling said number at various times of day resulted in no answer. I had to call Screwfix head office to get the correct number - come on guys this really is sloppy..my faith in Screwfix is rapidly disappearing.

13. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

"my faith in Screwfix is rapidly disappearing"

Screwfix.com is excellent and I always get very good service and fast reliable deliveries.

Trade Counters however, are an absolute shambles.

I popped into Southampton today to see if it was any better than Poole. No, nothing I wanted was in stock. What a shower.

Come on Screwfix! How can such a strong business get it so badly wrong?

14. harry-the-hound

harry-the-hound New Member

My initial experience is on the Basildon thread.
    I think I will have to agree to collecting the delivery from the new depot next time; "at the manager's discretion", ratheer than chase it round Essex.

As someone who in a previous life worked in "logistics", the answer to lack of space in the local depot is called "demurrage": You give the punter (say) 48 hours to clear their consignment and then start charging a daily "arm and a leg" if it is still not collected.

Harry.

15. Andy-

Andy- New Member

yes toolstation have this facility and they just started opening trade counters , on another note last time i had something delivered from screwfix online you or parcelforce who work for you decided to deliver it to a post office instead and then you think i should go and get it(is that what we pay you for)

16. bossyboy

bossyboy New Member

rotherham,doncaster and scunthorpe are set up for call and collect, i believe there is an 0800 number to ring and the goods can be picked up 15 mins later[will post number the nxt time i go in] payment can be made by acc or c/c ,acc customers need to produce id and c/c customers have to produce the card.

17. BobDaBulder

BobDaBulder New Member

[Edited by: admin5]

18. skyshadow

skyshadow New Member

Definitely needed, or alternatively a means of checking stock availability / reserving goods BEFORE venturing to the trade counter and queuing for 15 minutes before being told "computer says no".

Argos can manage it, you can even pay via machine when you get there without queuing.

19. ave at!

ave at! New Member

this is a stupid idea. if you order online for collection at the trade counter it will mean there will be twice as much congestion. if you are ordering at the same time as the customers that have actually got up off their *** to make their way to the store then they have to wait will you sit at home with nothing else to do but click buttons all day. if you have enough time to do this then you can get up and go down to the shop and order just like the rest of us. why should the rest of us have to wait for the like you who can't be bothered to go to the shop! Ave At!!

[Edited by: admin]

[Edited by: admin]

20. ave at!

ave at! New Member

if you want to check stock then the staff can give their telephone number so you can call to check. and why should they hold stock for you when i could be standing in the queue ordering the same item but i can't pick it up because you have sat on your **** at home and will wait till the end of the day to go and collect it! Ave At!