osb board is it suitable for shed ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Sep 10, 2005.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi want to put a shed/workshop/store up at the side of my house, there is a 6 foot fence running around the area where the shed is going .Want to make it as cheap as poss, with joists and a moisture resistance 18mm woodchip floor a frame made of wood covered in 11mm OSB board is osb suitable for use outside ? I picked osb cause of its price, you will not see any of the shed due to the fence,any help welcomed, is there any cheaper/better way ? many thanks g

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

osb aint moisture resistant

3. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Also if the shed is going to be a lean too against my house what do i do about the damp proof course ? the shed which would be against the house and the damp proof course ?I wanted the shed to sit as low down as possable so it does not protrude above the 6 foot fence, so was going to dig out the base to ensure this, but the bit of the shed which meets up to the house would cross the dpc?

4. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi it says at wickes its suitable for external use . so can i stain varnish it, if it gets wet the glue that holds it together will not fall apart or can i use P5 moisture resistance chipboard, just need something thats cheap and large sheet size , thanks .

5. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

marine ply will hold up better.

6. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

dvdvdvdve, i say again. osb aint an exterior product (<u>whatever the gimp idiot in wickes says</u>)

The OSB manufacturers dont say it is an exterior product BECAUSE they would get done under the trades descriptions act

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Shuttering board and felt it.

Mr. Handyandy - really

8. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi it just said it in the wickes catologe: a highly versatile panel suitable for both interior and exterior structural uses ?If not what else in panels would be suitable ? many thanks

9. bigjules

bigjules New Member

marine ply will hold up better.

Is this about a beach hut or a shed?

Marine play in this instance is a waste of money - the timber used in marine ply is EXACTLY the same as used in Far Eastern, Brazilian or other hardwood plies, the only difference being that all of the plies (layers) in marine ply are in single pieces and the adhesive is resistant to marine boring insects!

OSB is ONLY moisture resistant and not suitabole for potential continual wetting, (like rain!), unless protected in some manner, like the felt suggested before.

10. three-twenty

three-twenty New Member

this is the difference between marine and wbp;

1 quality and grading of the veneers are higher
    2 higher standards of workmanship
    3 durable timbers used
    4 core gaps are no wider than 0.5mm
    PLEASE note the glue is exactly the same
    marine ply is over spec for most things in the building trade.

11. lamb

lamb New Member

Hi it just said it in the wickes catologe: a highly
    versatile panel suitable for both interior and
    exterior structural uses ?If not what else in panels
    would be suitable ? many thanks

12mm 8x4 shutter ply is the same price and more suitable.

12. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

lamb.

shuttering ply is either the cheapest rubbish on the planet or a "wisaform"

You wouldnt use either for external work. The first delaminates overnight in rain, the second is far more expensive that hardwood wbp

13. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

lamb i also forgot to say

you dont use 12mm ply for formwork. 12mm is not strong enough for flat work and is too stiff for curved work

14. sikboi

sikboi New Member

moisture resistant is no good. wpb means that its weather and boil PROOF. stuffs so hardcore you can stick it in a vat and boil it and stick it out in the weather and it will be fine, and for a good while. you can always add more protection later.

15. sikboi

sikboi New Member

and maybe use some UV treatment too

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Well it's already been up 5 years so he probably knows now :)

17. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Wet walling should do the job fine ;)

18. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I built a 12 x 8 shed eleven years ago and clad it with OSB painted with Cuprinol - all edges treated with bitumen, still very sound...but ugly ;)

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A bit like yourself then Capt ;)

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

osb isnt suitable for direct exposure to the elements, its good stuff for shed floors and roofs though. Cheapest way to board it out would probably be shiplap surely.