OSB board outside?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jim5647, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Jim5647

Jim5647 New Member

Hi,

Firstly sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. Had a builder over who was removing old concrete steps to back door. We didn't want pave slabs done now and pretty sure talked about decking when he was here originally to let area dry out and we said it has to last at least a year. he quoted to replace the steps with timber after removing the original. After removing the concrete the floor is just pebbles like being on the beach. He's now put in a free standing timber frame that is covered in OSB boards which he sprayed with something. Apart from it obviously being wood I wouldn't have said it was timber or he should have said he was using OSB, feels misleading. As far as I was aware OSB shouldn't be used outside? Is this just going to fall apart and come off, I feel it's unsafe as it is ,as it's free standing on a couple of the removed paving slabs on the pebbles and about a foot+ from the door. So you have to stretch a bit. Mainly just trying to find out about OSB and if it will be ok and any other comments. I just don't want it needing to be done properly in 6 months again.

Thanks!

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Active Member

It might last a year but will probably start to de-laminate before then.
    However a big concern would it being very slippery when wet.

3. Madeofale

Madeofale Active Member

itll swell up like a tampon, if its for walking on he could have used decking, certainly wouldnt have used osb thou

4. Jim5647

Jim5647 New Member

Thanks for the replys, being slippery was also a concern. It is meant to be steps to two doors, the first step is 60 cm then drops down to one that is 70cm Long to access lower door on side, so it's arearea with frequent movement and carrying out rubbish etc.

5. Madeofale

Madeofale Active Member

you can get decking with grit strips in it to aid with not slipping, dont get why he has gone for osb

6. AnotherTopJob

With decking you'd need to construct a frame so it looks like the builder took the quick and easy option of using sheet material.
    It's hard to visualise what's been done, but can you temporarily lay some slabs?

7. Jim5647

Jim5647 New Member

The problem was that the concrete steps with slabs on top was causing damage inside due to being way to high and the other room attached to the steps was lower so had water too. We can probably slab the level floor, bit were intending to put decking to air it out a bit more if that's what you meant? He did crate a frame of sorts, which is why I was surprised when I saw board on it, although the layout wasn't what we asked for either. I will have to ask him why he used OSB, he was here for maybe 8 hours in total and removing steps( not removing waste), and wants £500 , I just assumed we'd get something a lot better constructed. I put a pic up so I make more sense lol, but thanks for the help. I may just have to re do it myself.

8. Jim5647

Jim5647 New Member

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If that is anything other than a temporary fix for a fortnight or he was planning to fibreglass over the top to last a while longer then it is an unfunny £500 joke.

10. Jim5647

Jim5647 New Member

Oh man, thanks for the reply

11. AnotherTopJob

Apart from the OSB it looks like quite a well constructed frame, it would be easy to screw some deck boards on top or even slabs.

12. Jim5647

Jim5647 New Member

Thanks, I actually thought that was his intention when I saw him making it. Is a good idea, will prob end up doing that

13. Madeofale

Madeofale Active Member

thats garbage, that osb wants to come out altogether, nothing wrong with the wood hes used for the frame its just not very well put together, it wants a propper frame making and then deck the top, and it shouldnt cost anywhere close to £500

14. Jim5647

Jim5647 New Member

@mad, He removed the steps that were there as well as part of the £500. You can kind of see how big the steps were in back of the picture, it was just removed not removing waste. Total 8 hours Inc steps. You think I've been ripped off with this? It was him and a labourer. I do feel it has been overcharged for the quality of steps as I would imagine a day builder + lab is £250-300?

15. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Perhaps ask him back to staple gun down a load of chicken wire over the whole lot. That would provide the grip and stop the boards from swelling a bit. Or he could screw a few deck boards down which would bring the height up a bit. Should just about last the year.
    Could have done with being a bit higher overall IMO.