Outbuilding conversion

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by stewthebrew, Apr 29, 2007.

1. stewthebrew

stewthebrew New Member

Hi
    I've just bought a property with a 23m2 workshop at the end of the garden. It's constructed out of 4" breeze blocks with a concrete floor and a three layer flat roof. The ceiling joists are exposed 7 x 2's at 700mm centers.
    I want to convert this space into a music studio. What would be good construction methods to insulate the floor, walls and ceilings?
    Would I need to contact building control?
    Thanks in advance

2. STGO

STGO New Member

Have a look here

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think it's covered fairly comprehesivly there. Not sure about using a cargo net to support the false ceiling though!

4. stewthebrew

stewthebrew New Member

Thanks for your replies.
    Sorry but my question was a bit misleading. The studio is to teach guitar so it doesn't need to be fully soundproofed.
    Basically I just need to add a second skin to the breeze blocks. Would plaster board on batterns be the best option?

5. nigel

nigel Guest

I would plasterboard and batten walls, infilling with rockwool or other insulation and do the same with ceiling as well as improving sound proofing will be easier to keep warm in winter and cooler in summer.

6. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

If you put 80mm on the walls (Celotex or similar) and 50mm on the floor and 100 in the ceiling you will be as warm as toast, and no need for Building control to know anything.

Lay 50x50 treated battens across the floor, lay the insulation between and then deck across with moisture resistant chipboard.