Outdoor Lighting .... And what i might need... Help me thinks??

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by ObiwanKinobe, May 21, 2004.

1. ObiwanKinobe

ObiwanKinobe New Member

Hello,

Would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me with some exterior lighting. Haven't a clue where to start.
    Will be using the S/F Driveway lighting, but need power outside (twin exterior socket?) and lots of cabling, does anyone know how these lights come packed? and what extras i might need?
    All ideas very welcome indeed.
    Many thanks

2. ChubbyPhaseWire

ChubbyPhaseWire New Member

Hello,

Would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me
    with some exterior lighting. Haven't a clue where to
    start.

OBI. Wots wrong with the Fluorescent lamp you carry.
    May the EMF be with you, all the time

3. ObiwanKinobe

ObiwanKinobe New Member

Whilst trimming my privet hedge with my lightsaber i tripped over my cloak, lost my balance and threw it in the pond...

4. plugwash

plugwash New Member

its hard to say

you will need to wire them up with some sort of cable steel wire armoured is probablly right but exactly how it should be terminated in them is hard to tell

as for power id advise a dedicated cuircuit on the rcd side of the cu run via a metalclad (for easy termination of the armoused cable) double pole switch

5. trunky

trunky New Member

OBI

If you're fitting the SF driveway lights I notice they are class 2 which means they are double insulated, so I don't know how you are going to connect armoured cable. Have you thought about low voltage lights 12 or 24V from a transformer.

6. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Whilst trimming my privet hedge with my lightsaber i
    tripped over my cloak, lost my balance and threw it
    in the pond...

Please excuse my while I pull myself together as I am still laughing..:) :)

May the Farce be with you too

7. sparkedout2

sparkedout2 New Member

Since your not too clued up just chuck an extension lead through the window and plug in !

8. plugwash

plugwash New Member

id get the lights first and read the instructions
    they should come with installation on how to conenct them and what cableing to use

9. ObiwanKinobe

ObiwanKinobe New Member

Ladies and gents, i'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your help. Its given me a few things to ponder on, cheers guys

10. andyspark

andyspark Active Member

Trunky
    Whats the problem in using armoured cable for Class 2 equipment?
    Surely you just don't have any connection from the earthed armour at the light fitting end.
    Or are you thinking about the practicalities of securing the gland in a non metallic bit of kit.

11. trunky

trunky New Member

The latter

12. plugwash

plugwash New Member

also there is the issue of maintaining continuity to the next bit of armoured

though i suppose you could use resin filled tee joints to aviod this problem

13. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

id get the lights first and read the instructions they should come with installation on how to conenct them and what cableing to use

That's a bit like a Bateman cartoon...

Anyway - Obi-Wan, if you are serious about buying these, before you do, ask Screwfix how they can be installed in accordance with BS7671, and don't be fobbed off with any "if in doubt consult a qualified electrician" type of answer.

14. trunky

trunky New Member

By the time you've had all the hassle of burying armoured cable and fitted w/proof tees etc etc etc. Sit down and cost the whole thing in low voltage. I've seen some good LED lights, deck lights and drive over lights all running on 24 volts.

The lights might be more expensive per unit but low voltage cable and plastic conduit is a lot cheaper than messing about with armoured cable.

T

15. ChubbyPhaseWire

Hello,

Would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me
    with some exterior lighting. Haven't a clue where to
    start.
    Will be using the S/F Driveway lighting, but need
    power outside (twin exterior socket?) and lots of
    cabling, does anyone know how these lights come
    packed? and what extras i might need?
    All ideas very welcome indeed.
    Many thanks

OBI
    If in doubt consult a qualified electrician

16. I would use SWA up to a JB on the fence or wall near where the light is to be fitted. Then I'd use flex plastic conduit to the light fitting with some arctic cable.

Make sure you cover the conduit glands in silicone though, cause they leak tonnes.

17. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Are you allowed to bury flex inside flexible conduit? Sounds a bit iffy to me...

18. ChubbyPhaseWire

Whilst trimming my privet hedge with my lightsaber i
    tripped over my cloak, lost my balance and threw it
    in the pond...

HOPE IT WAS IPX7

19. Are you allowed to bury flex inside flexible conduit? Sounds a bit iffy to me...

Yeh pretty sure you can, though it should be quite deep with marker tape above. It's only a short run anyway.