Outdoor lighting (temp)

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Sam211213, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Sam211213

Sam211213 New Member

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can help, so I have a pretty long garden with a garage at the bottom. We have no electricity down there but in need of some light until we get round to having all the correct electrics fitted. And it will be used only occasionally using a extension lead from the house.

I have 2 5amp lights with 0.75mm flex cable and a 13amp plug.

Would I be able to join the 2 lights together to only have to plug in 1 plug to power both? Would a junction box work in this scenario ?

Thanks for any help on this.

2. Sam211213

Sam211213 New Member

Just to add i am using an extension lead at the minute as a temp measure while I do my work outside the garage. So this all would be a temp measure.. thanks.

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

There are special plugs designed to take up to 4 cables, but I would not recommend using using one for this application, a double socket extension lead is way to go.

I run out a temporary lead every time I use my caravan, bright orange, 2.5 mm sq, with 16A CEE plug and socket, even then plug and socket protected from direct rain. Any the lead is carefully inspected every 3 weeks as that is about the maximum time I will stay on a caravan site so it is inspected as I collect it. It is always supplied from an RCD protected outlet.

I would consider one of These sockets on the extension lead. [​IMG]

4. Sam211213

Sam211213 New Member

Thanks MGW for your advise,

Everything is going to be connected in the garage so out of the weather but I think your right 2 plugs for 2 lights is prob best. If I'm using a 5amp light I'm guessing a 5amp plug on the end is sufficient ?

Thanks again for your response

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I doubt it is a 5amp light. 5amp is around 1.2KW. A plug with a 3amp fuse would be best.

6. Sam211213

Sam211213 New Member

Sorry Lectrician,

Getting confused , this is the lights ×2.

Attached Files:

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A 3 amp fuse is good for up to 700 watts, doubt your 2 lights will come close to that figure.

I see that fitting uses a GU10 lamp, look at using GU10 led lamps, cool running, cheaper running, plus you safely use a higher wattage led lamp, like 7w to give you more light.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  8. Sam211213

Sam211213 New Member

Thanks KIAB,

If I have the 2 lamps pictured with 2 13amp plugs with 2 5amp fuses and 0.75 flex on each would that be ok ? I don' mind buying other plugs etc if it' necessary it's just I have all of the above already.

Thanks

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes, but you could still use a 3amp fuse instead of the 5 amps.

10. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Those lights are not temporary!

11. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

The supply to them is intended to be temporary.

12. Sam211213

Sam211213 New Member

The extension lead power supply is temporary until the new year when I can focus on gettin the garden ready for use again after winter.

Thanks

13. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

For a 230 volt supply 5W = 0.021739 amp so a 1 amp fuse would be ample.

14. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

But there will be two per lights and two lights - so 0.09A. However, as there is an inrush on LEDs of between 5 and 10 times that, the OP will be looking at around 0.5 to 0.9A so, the 1A fuse will still be adequate!

15. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Inrush may be true where a pulse width modulated driver is used for the LED's as it charges up the capacitor, but with most LED bulbs the capacitor is simply a voltage dropper and there will not be an inrush, for a 13A plug or FCU I have not seen any fuse less than 1A so as said 1 amp is adequate. In the main in rush is caused by using extra low voltage lighting, I am sure there is quite an inrush when I switch on my bathroom lights, 4 x 5W LED and a CFL simply because I am using a 200 VA transformer for the 4 x 5W LED's but we have not suggested this poster does anything like that.