Outdoor Shower

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mangozi, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Mangozi

Mangozi New Member

Hi all,

First post and, it may be laughable since it’s getting colder but here goes.

I’m planning on installing an electric shower outside to use to wash the dog during winter.

I have a Triton Madrid and was planning on making a weatherproof cabinet to hold the shower unit and attach it to an exterior wall. I can make a removable connection to the outside hose for water supply but my concern is the electric.

There is a professionally fitted exterior socket that would be outside the weatherproof cabinet. Can I fit a regular plug to the shower unit and plug it in to the exterior socket?

2. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

The shower will need its own dedicated circuit with RCD protection, and you will need to do something to prevent it freezing

3. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Yes, it’s laughable, don’t do it.

Just run install a thermostatic mixer shower inside the house connected to an outside tap, so the tap supplies warm water from your existing hot water supply, but the shower mixer is inside the house to prevent it freezing.

4. Mangozi

Mangozi New Member

Thanks for the reply. RCD is it’s own switch/fuse on the main board, correct? Would it be fine if the outside socket had its own RCD and the only thing plugged into that would be the shower?

thanks

5. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

6. Mangozi

Mangozi New Member

Thanks for the reply.

I guess it doesn’t need to be attached outside. It could simply be on a board that I take out and connect when we need to wash the dog; that would stop it freezing and mean we don’t need to install anything inside (which we didn’t want to do as we’ve just had a big renovation)

Would turning the tap off outside cause a problem if the mixer is still running inside?

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Electric showers simply are not designed to be used outside or fixed to boards to make them portable. You need to dump this idea, it's not going to work. Just do as happy builder says, it's the only way you're going to solve this

8. The Happy Builder

Not with a thermostatic mixer that takers hot and cold water from inside the house, you could install a dedicated thermostatic mixer valve to the outside tap.

The idea of having a portable electric shower is a complete nonsense.

9. Mangozi

Mangozi New Member

Thanks for the replies all. It looks like I need to get an electrician and a plumber in to advise how we work it into our existing set up.

10. The Happy Builder

As an electrician I would decline the job, more hassle than it’s worth.

11. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

No decent spark would do what you suggest, it's a complete non starter. Probably some idiot cowboy would do it but I doubt you would hear from them ever again after it all goes wrong.

12. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

13. The Happy Builder

I have fitted adjoining hot and cold outside taps for customers, farmers, people with horses, keen car washers and others just like being able to get a bucket of hot or warm water without going indoors.