Outside brickwork question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by James South, Nov 7, 2019.

1. James South

James South Member

Hello,

We moved into a house built in 1970's earlier this year. It has an extension that was built not long after, but definitely before the '90s.

We've had a lot of rain recently and I note that on the whole, the extension is fine but four or five bricks above the damp proof course seem to be wet on the outside. No evidence of damp inside, just a cold wall in the corner.

The DPC is not breached and it's a good two bricks above the ground level. There is then a maximum of two further bricks high by three bricks wide that looks and feel wet.

Some things to note. The wall is facing the prevailing weather and is sheltered slightly by bushes the other side of a path. Little rain get's down there. The path, however, does angle towards the wall in the affected area and I'm wondering if it's just because we've had a lot of rain of late that it's just got a bit wet. As I said there is no mould, damp, smell etc. inside, just a few wet bricks above the DPC. There is a little moisture if you touch but not overly wet. The others around and above this area are fine, at the moment.

The survey in April advised no signs of condensation, rising or penetrating damp and I'd be surprised if anything had developed so quick. All of the other walls appear fine with no evidence of wet damp bricks above the DPC.

Any thoughts?

Edit: it may be worth noting the humidity in the room is a steady 55% and is true throughout most of the house.

2. James South

James South Member

One thought was to buy a flood barrier like a hydro snake and if this stopped water going down towards the wall, would it dry up over time. If yes, get the path sorted/re-aligned.

3. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Haven’t followed your description 100% (my quick read, not your fault) but sounds like there’s a hard path next to wall? In which case is it just splash back from the path? Don’t underestimate that effect! If no issues being caused inside in the long term nowt to worry about.

4. James South

James South Member

Hello, yes that's right. The path is next it. I should have said it's next to down drain for the extension too. It's all in tact apart from the water butt adapter.

It could be but i guess it had been a few days since the bad rain i was just a concerned. It rained constantly and very hard at timest wo days about five days ago now.

5. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Just remember that there's only damp. "Rising or penetrating damp" is damp proofing company bullshot designed to frighten the unsuspecting into buying their snake oil 'treatments'.

And your current issue sounds like nothing to be overly concerned about to me. If it doesn't dry out once the weather does (if the weather ever does...), then it's time to look further into it.

KIAB likes this.
  6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Brick walls get wet in driving rain. They then dry and then get wet again. They've been doing it for hundreds of years. It's only the 'modern' waterproofing products that have caused the problems we keep hearing about on this forum and elsewhere. Just leave it be, and it'll be fine.

Dam0n likes this.
  7. James South

James South Member

Thanks. I went out this morning and there was a small patch of water on the slab. Above was drips off the gutter so I think it could be drip slash. I'm going to put a bucket under it and see if it catches things and maybe dries up. Not worried now but if it spreads I'll investigate. Thanks for your comments. I did try to upload pics but too big for the forum.

8. James South

James South Member

Bucket started filling up when the rain was on. Everything looks fine. The rain is running into the gutter apart from one part where it was dripping onto some material under the tiles and going under the gutter and dripping onto the path. I'm sure if I cut that material it may solve it.