Outside drain problems

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by illusoryduck, Nov 10, 2018 at 11:31 AM.

1. illusoryduck

illusoryduck New Member

Hi all,

I've got an outside drain, that don't seem to be draining. Had my hand down the hole and can't find any outside, just feels like a bowl? If that's the case, how to I get it connected to an outlet?

Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

A drain gully?

Clay,plastic?

What running into it rainwater?

3. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Active Member

what you felt is known as the u bend it will be connected to a underground pipe have you lifted the manhole cover up to check for blockages.

4. illusoryduck

illusoryduck New Member

5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

You will find it runs into a nearby manhole chamber.

It will be most likely identical to one below,usually find them full of silt/crud & outlet solidly blocked, or/& slow draining

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 11:59 AM
  6. spirits are real 2016

that is about right height for the water it will never fully drain away that is to stop smells coming through from drain does it over flow or just sits like that.

7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Yes, spot on.:)

8. illusoryduck

illusoryduck New Member

Yeah it's not draining just overflowing. What's the best way to get it flowing

9. spirits are real 2016

check manhole for blockages and use drain rods down the gully have you got a hose pipe or jet wash you can stick down there under pressure to clear blockage.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 12:28 PM
  10. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Uses rods from manhole up to gully, snake wire might work from gully end, as it's flexible enough to got over U bend.

I've used a dustbin full of water & emptied slowly down gully here, it's usually enough force to clear any blockage.

11. illusoryduck

illusoryduck New Member

All sorted, that's for the help everyone!

KIAB and spirits are real 2016 like this.