Outside light connections

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by seneca2, Sep 27, 2010.

1. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Hi all,
    I have some ground mounted outside lights to install, the sort of things you normally see mounted on a pillar. The problem is best way to connect them. They have a reasonably sized base on them, I could just about get a small Wiska box in but as it's a loop through arrangement with 2 Hi-tuff cables to get in it's going to be very tight. I was thinking about crimps and heat-shrink but that will cause problems where the 2 cables enter the sleeving, (it always leaves a little gap between the cables)so i'm thinking self amalgamating tape might be better? The cables will be completely concealed by the lamp base and the connection areas will be about 3 inches above the ground so no chance of getting waterlogged, any comments chaps?

2. bluevelvet

bluevelvet New Member

Scene- did some a while ago with almost the same situation. Get some 20mm plastic couplers,should be able to get the 2 cables in about half way into the coupler, and fill with silicon. But leave about 1/2"from the end. cut a piece of 20mm conduit and insert the 20mm with a spare nozzle from a silicon tube which is tapered and you can cut to suit the single cable going to the light.
    Crimp and heatshrink the connection. Then assemble together and wrap The whole lot with self amalgamating tape.
    connections now inside of a nice water proof assembly,
    Works for me

3. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Sen, I'd never attempt to connect two SWAs or Hi-Tuffs within the base of such a fitting. I'd terminate externally in a w/p box mounted on a stub post and from there, take a smaller flex in flexible conduit into the base of the fitting.

You might think that the terminations at 3" above ground are safe from 'waterlogging', but they're certainly not safe from 'mudlogging' - unless the fittings are mounted on a concrete slab to prevent the inevitable ant hills.

One cable per fitting is always the best way.....

Lucia x.

4. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Thanks for replies bv and Lucia.
    Lucia, this is part of the same job I was talking about a couple of months ago, re the led lights in the paving, i'm still waiting for the landscaper to get his stuff done. The lamps i'm talking about now will be mounted on the paving stones. There is no way the client will accept joint boxes, also the cables are all laid now, I just have loops where the lamps will be fitted. So what do you think about the self-amalgamating tape Lucia? There is no fixed terminal block in the lamps although there is quite a bit of room there, not quite enough to comfortably get a small Wiska box + 2 x 1.5 Hi-tuffs in though! I know I shouldn't be asking your advice as i'm going against what you're advising but you know what some of these jobs are like don't you.

5. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

In which case, Sen, forget the secondary enclosure of a Wiska box or similar. The fitting itself is a suitable encloure for jointing. Just use connectors and self almalamating tape and keep your fingers crossed.....

Lucia x

6. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Thanks Lucia.

7. Nob

Nob New Member

Wago have launced a new terminal enclosure Tender Loving Care have started selling them
    http://www.wago.ltd.uk/pdfs/Universal%20Connector.pdf

First page shows a two cable connection scroll down to possibly something that would suit your loop in requirement. Then self amalgamating tape to water seal.

8. MechEng

MechEng New Member

Have you thought about using a resin filled joint? Not the massive kits designed for SWA, but you could quite easily use std. conduit boxes to make the joints, fill with resin, fit the lid and bury/conceal as required.

9. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Thanks Nob, looks like they could do the job.