outside light.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by panlid, Mar 13, 2005.

1. panlid

panlid New Member

serious question guys. i have a light on the wall in my porch that says no more than 100w bulb. i only put 60w bulbs in but its gone again just know. they only seem to last about 3 to 4 weeks before they go. if its of any use it also trips the fuse on the cu for the d/s lights. any advice so i can sound knowledgable to my spark in the morn.

2. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Are you leaving it on all the time or just using it occasionly?

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Cheap bulbs is probably the answer to the short life.
    10 for a £ or 2 for a 3. You get what you pay for.
    We're forever changing our cheap bulbs(4 times more often)

Handyandy - really

4. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Could well be! try an osram or crompton bulb in it the next time to be sure!

5. panlid

panlid New Member

we put it on every night a nd bulbs are the bulbs are GE apperntly double life.

6. handyman.

handyman. New Member

Is it a red light SID?

7. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Hi SID

Could you use low energy bulbs? If so you could leave it on 24 hours a day for very little cost. That's what I do and the bulbs have lasted four years on average (when I say average I've only ever replaced two).

BB

8. markysparky

markysparky New Member

you would be better using the energy saving bulbs,(as long it is not the sensor type) as these can last up to 10 times longer than the normal filament bulbs. Having the light on all night could be whats doing it!

9. panlid

panlid New Member

handyman why is it taking business of your maud?
    bb i cant use low energy bulbs as if any of my customers come round with a cheque or something and see one they will take the p**5. you see whenever im on a job and it goes a bit dark, when i turn the lights on if they have low energy i take the p**5 something rotten so i just couldnt do it. i have my integrity to think off;)

[Edited by: Forum Moderator]

10. handyman.

handyman. New Member

11. panlid

panlid New Member

i see mark. thinking about it you dont normally have lights on more than a couple of hours normally. simple when you think about it. i can see your all amazed that i didnt realise it;)

12. panlid

panlid New Member

that bulb looks ideal but how much light would it throw out. compared to a normal bulb. ie comparable to a 60w?

13. markysparky

markysparky New Member

If you look closely it tells you!

14. eebad

eebad New Member

Average bulb life around 1000 hours, in reality 600/700 hours. Leaving the light on all night average 12/14 hours for 4 weeks is 336/392 hours. With the extremities of the cold taken into consideration I would say you're getting your moneys worth.

wired

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I like the way screwfix think ?????
    Look at a low energy bulb and you get "You might also be interested in......." A shower cubicle or a low energy bulb or a kitchen sink. Now I wouldn't necessarily tie them together!!!!!!!!

Handyandy - really

16. markysparky

markysparky New Member

We forgive you! being a chippie and that! ;)

17. handyman.

handyman. New Member

I've had one of those sensor bulbs running for 2 1/2 years now.

18. markysparky

markysparky New Member

19. panlid

panlid New Member

mark i thought the small print was something to do with part p and thought nooooooo not looking:D

20. panlid

panlid New Member

handyman your maud must be raking it in;)
    mark i prefere the look of them. thanks.