Outside lighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by seneca2, May 2, 2010.

1. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Hi all,
    I have to fit some lights on the back of a house, customer has suggested 3x 500watt halogens. I will feed them through a stand-alone pir. Does anyone have experience of energy efficient ones, ie are there any that come close to giving the amount of light of a normal 500w halogen? Also, what about halide lamps, they seem to be quite low wattage, what sort of performance do they give? This is a 'money no object' job so i'd like to get it right! Also if I do use normal type halogens, are there any that are better quality than the usual ones, they don't usually seem to weather very well, corrosion, paint flaking off etc.

2. wally2

wally2 New Member

Yes there are better ones.
    Yes I have fitted low energy in my 500w halogen out back.
    Yes they do achive brightness reasonably quickly but expect some delay.
    Yes its operated by a PIR
    No they are not as bright as 500w, possibly more like 120w ie 24wx5 is the standard workout for low energy. Quite bright enough for my use due to being a reflector on a floodlight.

3. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Thanks Wally, that x5 is interesting, i've never heard that said before, I suppose I should have deduced that from the figures on normal low energy lamp boxes, eg 8w-40w etc.

4. wally2

wally2 New Member

5. wally2

wally2 New Member

6. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Thanks Wally, that does look a good one, nice wide angle and I like the scrolling led feature.

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I have two 500watt floods in my garden, but with 300watt lamps fitted. plenty of light. I could even drop back to 200watt I reckon.

You cannot really use metal halide or other energy saving fittings with PIRs - it jsut doesn't make sence to.

8. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Thanks Lec, I just wondered about the metal halide as iv'e had no experience of them.

9. Lectrician

They take a good few minutes to fire up initially, and when you turn them off, they have to cool down a fair bit before they will re-strike.

10. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Defo not compatible with pir's then, thanks again Lec.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Aren't Metal Halides more efficient then Halogen strips? I always thought they were, but am not sure on strike up times..ie are they instantaneous which is ok for a PIR, or have they a warm up period which means they obviously are not? I use 2 x 500 watt halogens one at front and one at back but the lamps do go down at the most inopportune moments, so maybe if Metal Halides can be used they would be far superior. Dunno if any of this helps Sen.

12. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Metal Halides are the same as the Orange SONS in regard to strike, warm up and re-strike times.

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh well thats a no go then..sorry Sen and thanks Sine for the info.

14. Lectrician

Of course metal halide are more efficient that halogens - that goes without saying.

But like all discharge lighting, they take a while to come upto full brightness, metal halide particularly can take a long time, and they take a while to re-strike after being turned off (as in total blackness for some time).

Useless with PIR's.

15. tired of it all

tired of it all New Member

You've all missed the point about exterior lighting. For some years I have refused on principle to install outside lights greater than 150 watts(unless for very specific industrial or security locations), for the following reasons:

1) 500 watt luminaires are useless as security, as they provide lots of dark shadow areas for burglars to hide in, while blinding the occupants at the same time.

2) They are invariably angled too high, so they annoy the neighbours and in some cases are so bad they blind drivers.

3) They add to the ridiculous and unnecessary light pollution cused by our ridiculous and unnecessary "modern" society. Because of light pollution, there is an entire generation of children who have grown up without seeing the stars (if you don't believe me, take a bunch of city kids to a planetarium or camping in the mountains, and watch their reaction to a clear night sky).

4) They are a stupid waste of power and money.

5) If you insist on regarding your garden as a sort of outside living room, you'll enjoy it better under low lighting, provided you are prepared to wait a few minutes for your eyes to adjust to a lower level of illumination. If you are that scared of the dark, stay indoors.

Any electrician with a view extending further than the end of his/her nose should be stating the above to any customer asking to have these sort of lights to be installed.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

The 500 watt halogens actuated by a PIR are security lights..no one would use 500 watt floods for garden lighting in general.

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Although do agree with the light pollution issue.

19. tired of it all

tired of it all New Member

On the contrary, many people ask me to install them, because they see them in B and Q or Wickes and think they are the norm. I know from talking to other contractors that my experience is typical. When I explain why they shouldn't fit them, most of them see sense; those that don't have to employ a different electrician, then deal with the complaints from the neighbours.

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Good stuff..:)