outside lights,what wire

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by nancy69, Dec 13, 2003.

1. nancy69

nancy69 New Member

My husband wants to put light on the side of our house,he has had a sort out in the shed and has found some orange cable which may have been left over from a lawn mower,is this allright to use for one light bulb as we have a lot of it.

Thank you

2. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

NOOOOOOO! That orange Flex does not have an earth core and is not suitable.

I will leave the accredited sparks to follow up...

3. nancy69

nancy69 New Member

oh ok,it was just a thought to use up the cable it would have been turned on and off at the plug

4. supersparky

supersparky New Member

how many wires are ther inside?
    if there is 3 its ok
    if 2, then no

5. MICC

MICC Member

No, please do not use this for wiring up an external light, its only use is for..well.. lawn mowers.

Please get an electrcian to look at wiring the light in.

6. MICC

MICC Member

SS, what are you thinking here?

7. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Thats just waiting for an accident to happen,go with everyone elses comments Nancy,that flex is totally wrong for what you want to do.

8. supersparky

supersparky New Member

nothing wrong with it aslong as it dont go underground, is in good condition, has an earth, then its no worse than the stuff you buy at the wholesalers, no wouldent fit it for someone, but its diy mate, whatever you say they are gunna use it

BR

9. MICC

MICC Member

Hang on here, diyers are taking your advise, if anything you should be going overboard to cover yourself.
    If advise offered on this site is taken and an accident happens I am sure it will come back on you.

Please dont encourage diyers, help them get advise from electricians....

10. supersparky

supersparky New Member

still nuffin wrong with using 'flex' to supply lights

11. kesh

kesh New Member

I'm glad you said that because when I was a kid I used 3core "orange" flex to wire my shed. I feel happier now!

12. MICC

MICC Member

So lets say they do this!
    Stick a 3core orange flex through a window vent and then clip it 10m down the external wall at waist height.
    Enters light fitting via hacksaw cutting to side of fitting, thus making it water tight fitting impossible.
    Its all backed by a 13amp plugtop.

You could say you knew nothing about this BUT, you said a 3core flex was ok!

13. supersparky

supersparky New Member

they dident say how they were going todo it! i answered the question 'is orange flex ok to use for outside lights' and your disputing that it can not be used under the circhamstances that I STATED, i said it must not go underground and it must have earth....find me where in the regs it says you can not use flex for outside lights
    they did not say they wouldent use glands, simply is it sutable

BR

14. MICC

MICC Member

Yes thats my whole point...
    not having a dig here, just making sure we are covered in case some prat looks at what you have said and then kills someone.
    Flex is not suitable for running to an external light, it would have to be protected.
    I know YOU would not install it but joe bloggs will run anything if its cheap!

15. supersparky

supersparky New Member

i see your point
    use hituf with glands then, my preference anyway

BR

16. seavigil

seavigil New Member

Needs to be UV stable though,

The last house we were in the Imm Htr and shower cable ran along the outside wall for about 6 m, the sheathing didn't look too pretty after 10 yrs in the sun. Oh, and the Immersion heater switch in the fuse box only hung on its wires inside the fuse box, pleased I got out of there.

Any sparkies out there who would like to share any domestic horrors they have seen recently (no, not the mother in law) - DIY bodges you've had to put right.

DJW

DJW

17. Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley New Member

In my previous house, the earlier occupany was mad enough to put 30A fuse wire in ALL the holders, luckily I checked the electrics on moving in, and saw the deadly mistake, promptly replaced all the fuses with the proper ratings, (and invested in a set of retrofit plug in wylex MCB's to replace the fuses in due course - felt much safer after that!).

18. MICC

MICC Member

called to a road haulage company who carried out a lot of welding in their garage.
    They claimed the fuses kept blowing, so they stuck some welding rod in the fuse, well it stopped it blowing.

19. kesh

kesh New Member

nancy69? Ho Ho Ho SS!

20. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

I have seen the replaceable trips for old wylex boards with the toggles tapped up in an attempt to stop 'em from tripping.....F**n' why?