Outside lights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Smudger71, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Smudger71

Smudger71 New Member

Hi, I have currently joined 5 outside lights as a daisy chain. And tried to connect them to a new switch, however when I turn the switch on neutral and live become live.
    I have followed the diagrams on the internet but don’t understand why they all remain live. I have checked the light connections and they are all correct

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Can you post a photo of how you've wired the switch?

3. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

How did you discover this? Did you test with a 2 probe type tester.
    You need to recheck all of your wiring & importantly test. Photos of your wiring will hopefully assist us to help you.

4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

When you say you came from switch was there a neutral at the switch? Or did you run to a junction box? Pics would be nice

5. Smudger71

Smudger71 New Member

Hi,
    I know the lights are working as I have added a plug and plugged them in and the lights have worked.

I have run a power supply to a junction box, and a 1.5m cable to the switch using the brown as a load and the blue neutral as the switch in the coms hole. obviously the neutral has become live when the switch is on, however when it is switched on both the neutral and live going to the light run are both Live?

6. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

The brown going to switch will be permanent live and the blue isnt neutral its live return from switch and should be connected to live going to lights and will be live under test so brown goes to COM and blue goes to L1 on light switch.. the blue return should have a brown marker to indicate that its live..

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You have obviously wired them incorrectly without pics we are just guessing