Outside Paving Job - Mortar colour

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by RickyHerts, Sep 12, 2018.

1. RickyHerts

RickyHerts New Member

We have just had black limestone paving laid. I wanted grey grout. My tiler said he would have to make this up. the job is finished and I am not happy. It looks a mess and the grouting is not an even colour. I have done a search on the internet and there is lots of ready-made mortar available to purchase so don't understand why he would mix it himself? I will post some photos in a minute. Please let me know if you think this is an acceptable job? is it possible to have the mortar removed and redone?

2. RickyHerts

RickyHerts New Member

Here are some images

Attached Files:

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

Only one word needed.

No.

Removing the mortar is possible but could damage the edges of the tiles in doing so.

4. RickyHerts

RickyHerts New Member

OK Thanks. I guess the colour will mellow in time but how do i easily remove all the mortar that he has got on to the face of the tiles? Do you think it looks OK?

5. Isitreally

No it looks poor, clearly not done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Making a grey grout would have been quite easy using a mortar dye.

You could try a brick acid to remove the staining, i would water it down a bit as it might damage the tiles, try it on an area not in full view first.

6. RickyHerts

RickyHerts New Member

I questioned why he was leaving it like that - he said: "you wanted the coloured mortar and the only way to get it the colour you wanted was to mix white cement with it". A quick Google shows that he could easily have purchased ready mixed grey mortar. Really disappointed.

7. RickyHerts

RickyHerts New Member

So he has arrived with "Brickcleaner" an acid based cleaner. I rang the company and they said this should not be used on Limestone times. I can't believe this guy. he obviously does not know about stone. i despair. it has cost us £7k to have this laid (not including the tiles).

8. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

I would hold back payment until he has it sorted. If he damages your limestone tiles with the brick acid, it'll cost you a fortune to have it put right.

9. Isitreally

That why i said water it down a bit and try on an area out of full view.