outside security light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by arsenalboy, Jun 30, 2006.

1. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

I have an external security light, 500 watt halogen. It is one of the lights that comes on with movement but also has an internal switch.
    I recently had a new kitchen put in (the light is on the outside wall) and the room was rewired, they introduced an isolating switch and fuse.
    Ever since then the light packs up at regular intervals and I have to replace it. It has just gone again and I thought I would check the fuse before putting ladders up.
    The fuse is 13 amp they have put in, is that my problem? Is that letting too much electricity through, would have thought it should have been 5 amps?

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

The fuse is 13 amp they have put in, is that my
    problem? Is that letting too much electricity
    through, would have thought it should have been 5
    amps?

So like if you put a 5amp fuse in the voltage drops to say 120v. Nice wind up arsenalboy.

3. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

Rather than insults best left to the playground, lets answer the problem.

No, it is nothing to do with the fuse. This doesnt impede the amount of electricity that comes through, it just limits the current draw.

If the bulb is going alot, perhaps the fitting is bad or the bulbs are a bad batch. Or a fault in the wiring, would need further investigation rather than discussion.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Rather than insults best left to the playground, lets
    answer the problem.

It's a wind up pal.

5. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

Sorry I don't understand, that is why I am asking advice(no winds up). I have always been led to believe lighting circuits are 5 amp and wall plug circuits are 13 amp and cooker circuits 30 amp etc. So if I have wrong size fuse isn't that wrong?

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Sorry I don't understand, that is why I am asking
    advice(no winds up). I have always been led to
    believe lighting circuits are 5 amp and wall plug
    circuits are 13 amp and cooker circuits 30 amp etc.
    So if I have wrong size fuse isn't that wrong?

Your not wrong on that. It was you saying about the voltage....seems a strange thing to say and reeks of wind up material.

7. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

Jp , I didn't say anything about voltage you did!!!
    If I gave a coded message in my question that related to voltage, that shows my lack of knowledge and my genuine request for information??

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Jp , I didn't say anything about voltage you did!!!
    If I gave a coded message in my question that related
    to voltage, that shows my lack of knowledge and my
    genuine request for information??

You said is the fuse letting too much electricity through....I immediately equated this with the size of fuse and the amount of voltage which in my mind rang the wind up bells. Was I silly to summise this....probably not....but then I would say that wouldn't I.

9. sparkedout2

sparkedout2 New Member

the spur would be better with a 5 or even a 3A fuse this only affects how quick or even if it will go under fault conditions.
    Your not by any chance touching the lamp with your fingers when you relamp are you grab the lamp with a tissue next time.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You should have a 3A fuse for the light.

At least, the 3A fuse would blow before the bulb/lamp, but it won't cure the problem, just save you money.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

11. STGO

STGO New Member

Your not by any chance touching the lamp with
    p with your fingers when you relamp are you grab the
    lamp with a tissue next time.

this is important mate, if you touch the bulb and dont clean it properly, it will blow early. you should atleast be down to the correct fuse for your circuit, if after you replace bulb, without touching it with your fingers, it blows again you have a problem with the circuit.

12. STGO

STGO New Member

Your not by any chance touching the lamp with
    p with your fingers when you relamp are you grab
    the
    lamp with a tissue next time.

this is important mate, if you touch the bulb and
    dont clean it properly, it will blow early. you
    should atleast be down to the correct fuse for your
    circuit, if after you replace bulb, without touching
    it with your fingers, it blows again you have a
    problem with the circuit.

maybe ;)

13. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

lol JP. Makes ya wonder don't it m8.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

You should have a 3A fuse for the light.

At least, the 3A fuse would blow before the
    bulb/lamp, but it won't cure the problem, just save
    you money.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

So what is the problem? An intermittent short measured in microseconds....not enough to rupture the fuse, but creating transients which will take the lamp out? Is this the answer?

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

lol JP. Makes ya wonder don't it m8.

Sure does mate....thats for sure.

16. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

OK.
    I have changed fuse down to 3amp and put new 500 watt lamp in (no fingers on glass!!) but still no good. Have checked out the wiring and that is all in tact with no damp. What else is there apart from wiring, bulb and fuse? If it was a table lamp it would have to be one of those 3 things. It has a PIR but I am using the manual override. I will obviously need to buy a new fitting but I am concerned that the problem is elsewhere. Is there other stuff in these units that will pack up?

17. HSG 52

HSG 52 New Member

Check the lamp packaging to make sure its 230v & not 110v.
    Its a long shot but you never know!

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Check the lamp packaging to make sure its 230v & not
    110v.
    Its a long shot but you never know!

Must be the above..what else could it be? Another really long shot..is there any kind of vibration vibrating the assy?

19. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

Does anyone know whether there are other parts to these fittings that pack up. The wiring is very complicated because of manual override, are there other little bits that control this?

20. some of these lights have a fuse on a little board inside the light, very unusual but does happen. the challanger range from cef contain such a fuse.