Outside socket, considerations before fitting?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MGW, Aug 5, 2021.

1. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

The outside socket [​IMG][​IMG]the Masterplug Mode 2 charge point shown, can it would first seem double as a lawn mower supply point and a charge point for visitors cars, and advert says "Built-In 16A 30mA Type B RCBO" but in real terms what does this Mode 2 charge point at £50 have which this unit [​IMG]does not have? I have an all RCBO consumer unit, and to have any socket outside it must have RCD protection, and one would assume the supply to the socket will come from a type AC or type A RCB/RCBO. So the only advantage in using the Mode 2 charge point is it uses a type B, hard to see on the picture but this upload_2021-8-5_9-19-46.png seems to be a type A curve C not a type B RCD. Looking for EVH132S1SP on the CPC website there is a link to a data sheet. It has an Optional Surge Protection Device, and Overload & Fault Current Protection is a 16A 30mA Type B RCBO but continues.
    Note bit in red, it seems the RCBO is not type B, at best it is type A, it may be curve B, but as to "and appropriate equipment that provides disconnection of the supply in case of DC fault current above 6mA" that also seems a problem, units like the Pod Point Solo do have the "appropriate equipment that provides disconnection of the supply in case of DC fault current above 6mA".

The other problem is TN-C-S supplies, some units do have a voltage detection unit which will auto disconnect first lives then earth if the supply is not within the 207 to 253 volt range, but otherwise it would need the socket to have a TT earth, the whole idea of a TT earth requires a gradient between it and any other earthing system, we were years ago told 25 volt can kill a cow, however we don't tend to have many cows walking our streets, so with a dog its stride is likely no more than a meter, so worse case scenario 230 volt between the two earth systems, so 10 meters is ample, well for caravans the fire regulations require 2.7 meters so in real terms a charging point 3 meters from any earthed part connected to the TN-C-S earth is likely enough.

But the big question is, if any outside socket is fitted, do we need today to consider if likely to be used for EV charging? My old house an outside socket are rear of house would clearly not be used for EV charging, and at the front we had a garage and there has been a socket in the garage since house built in the 70's, and garage door did not seal to the ground, so power could be taken from the garage, which I did for many years to maintain the caravan battery 24/7 with a class II charger.

This house both front and rear have vehicle access, I have two cars parked at rear, one at front, the level parking area is a good 15 meters from house so no problem having a TT supply, but with an all RCBO consumer unit best option for RCD protection is a type A, you simply can't buy single modular width RCBO's with a type B RCD incorporated.

So would need a type B RCD in the charging unit or a 6 mA DC auto disconnection unit.

But I don't have an electric car, and I have no intention of buying an electric car, so any socket would be for garden tools, or and this is the big point, visitors with electric cars. So should any 13 amp outlet at bottom of garden be TT, and does it need a type B RCD? Just in case a visitor wants to charge his car?

I suppose the same will apply to caravan sites, at the moment electric cars can't in the main tow, but what is to stop charging the EV from the caravan supply, which is TT or TN-S so not that worry, but unlikely to have a type B RCD.

My EV is a e-bike, and that charger is class II so no problem, for all I know all Mode 2 chargers are also class II, so would not need a TT supply, and to be frank I really don't know how we can get DC on the supply that would need a type B.

So maybe any old outside socket would do, so why sell special Mode 2 charging points? Maybe I do need one for my e-bike?

2. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

It has a socket that says on it that it’s rated for use as a EV charging socket, unlike the double socket.

Therefore it complies with the Wiring Regulations, but the double socket doesn’t.

3. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

They are both 13 amp sockets, the main reason for a dedicated Mode 2 charging point is the earthing system is either not TN-C-S or it has some auto disconnection device to ensure it disconnects with loss of PEN, and second the RCD is a type B, however with both sockets shown it is required "RCD should be selected by the electrician and fitted at the incoming source" so I type B has to be installed elsewhere to supply the socket, and there is no loss of PEN detection so it can't be connected to a TN-C-S earth.

So explain why one would fit a type AC 30 mA RCD/RCBO after a type B 30 mA RCD it seems totally pointless. May as well be a 16 amp MCB or a simple 13 amp fuse.