Oven & hob connection

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bluegas, May 15, 2016.

1. Bluegas

Bluegas New Member

Hi, I would like to replace an existing electric oven & gas hob with a new electric oven & electric hob. The new items are max 2.8 & 6.5kw respectively. Neither have any cables attached, but both state 4mm cable on the connection points. I currently have a cooker control unit supplied with 6mm cable & 32A mcb, & a single ccu under the work top. Am I able to simply swap the single ccu for a double & connect both appliances with 6mm cable, or is it not that straight forward? Thanks in advance

2. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Sounds fine to me. with diversity taken in to account the 32A circuit will be fine.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

It would sound even better if the whole lot was tested - a cursory eli would not be out of the question tbqh,

4. Bluegas

Bluegas New Member

Cheers Lee

leesparkykent likes this.
  5. Karen Diakite

Karen Diakite New Member

Hi

Can anyone help me, I want to buy an electric cooker from argos, but it has no cable, what do i need please? Doesn't say anything about kw circuits etc? Thank you

Spike_hiker likes this.
  6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Its always better to start a new topic, rather than hijack somebody else's. But as you are new, and as you have started it...

Questions:
    1. Is it really a COOKER? That means one box that has an oven and some rings on the top to cook stuff?
    2. Appliances have a rating plate on them. It may be on the door of the oven (side, as you open the door). Or on the back, where the cable will connect. There should be a KW rating. Or the instructions will say what is needed. If you really cannot find anything, then tell us the make and model number, or Google it on the maker's website to find the spec.
    3. What do you expect to connect this "cooker" to? Do you have a dedicated power point for "cookers" in the kitchen? What is the current rating of the protective device in the consumer unit for this circuit?

Give us the answers and you should get a definitive answer.

7. Karen Diakite

Karen Diakite New Member

Thanks but i really need the cable before the cooker arrives, as the old one will be taken, but i shall try to search the appliance on the website, course i already gathered the info will be on the cooker itself, yes its a cooker!???

8. Karen Diakite

Karen Diakite New Member

Bush BT60 ELW electric

9. Karen Diakite

Karen Diakite New Member