Oven plug / hob hardwired, any advice?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Hannahx07, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Hannahx07

Hannahx07 New Member

Hi all,

Currently in the process of modernising our extremely old kitchen. In the past we have always had freestanding cookers hardwired into the mains cable coming out of the wall.

however, the oven I’ve chose is a single integrated with a 13a plug on it. And the hob we are getting is a 30a hardwired. Problem is we don’t have a plug socket and the hardwired oven was wired up using a black connector circle block, not best practice or neatest by the looks but I’m no qualified electrician? Just a girl looking for advice.

We do have a cooker control unit above the worktop with a cooker on/off red switch and a plug socket next to it but would need to place the oven plug and hardwired socket into the cabinet next to the hob/oven I believe?

My dad is a retired electrician but I’m not sure he’s up to date with the regulations and doing it the right way. I’ve consulted an electrician but would love to know peoples thoughts on how to go about this so I know I’ll be getting it done safely and properly.

could we change the current on/off cooker switch to a single one without a plug socket, wire that to the hob outlet and then connect that to a plug socket? Or connect that to the same switch below? Would that work, it doesn’t look right on the picture to me. Feel free to save my image and help if possible please.

I’ll attach a picture with an extremely poor drawing of how I thought it would look without any knowledge. Sorry if this is dreadful, just looking for advice so I know things will be done right. Currently waiting on some quotes from electricians, if you could also advise what rough price I should be paying for this that would be great.

who knew planning a new kitchen would be so stressful

Attached Files:

2. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

3. Hannahx07

Hannahx07 New Member

Attached Files:

4. chesterw

Keep them tight together, so no exposed cable and you can use 2.5mm, make sure you allow for depth of cooker

5. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

What does your dad want to do?

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Probably being left to enjoy his retirement !!

Ind spark likes this.
  7. Hannahx07

Hannahx07 New Member

that… and if it was up to him he’d leave the main wire hanging out the wall with some plaster around it and leave the black connector box hanging there…

terrymac likes this.
  8. The Happy Builder

What size cable does the hob installation instructions say to use to connect it?

The last one I did a couple of weeks ago said 2.5 mm, so don’t jump to any conclusions without looking.

9. Hannahx07

Hannahx07 New Member

looks like this, 4mm?

I also have a screenshot of the cable information it is supplied with I think? I’m not sure if it does come with a cable.

Attached Files:

10. The Happy Builder

Existing 6 mm twin and earth cable into cooker connection plate supplying the hob with 4 mm heat resistant flex in a double accessory box with a single socket alongside it linked with some 2.5 mm conductors to the cooker connection plate.

11. chesterw

I don't understand that, all seems a bit confused

12. The Happy Builder

APPLEBY 1 + 1-GANG GALVANISED STEEL KNOCKOUT BOX 35MM (48234)

SCHNEIDER ELECTRIC ULTIMATE SLIMLINE 45A UNSWITCHED COOKER OUTLET PLATE WHITE(8376J)

SCHNEIDER ELECTRIC LISSE 13A 1-GANG UNSWITCHED PLUG SOCKET WHITE (7950J)

Plus some cable and a grommet.

13. chesterw

I'm still confused, why are you offering two different methods, and how do you connect the socket to the cooker outlet plate

14. The Happy Builder

Using magic taught to electricians by wizards.

terrymac likes this.
  15. Hannahx07

Hannahx07 New Member

thank you for this. So the cooker outlet box would have the existing main cable in it, then the 4mm hob cable as well as a 2.5mm that will go straight into the unswitched plug socket? If I’m understanding right? Will it fit in there?

I asked an electrician and got a quote of £175 for this job, does this sound reasonable?

16. chesterw

He's incorrect, but won't admit it, just do what I said in posts #2 and 4 and it will be ok.

The price is at the top end, but what can you do? hopefully he does a good job

17. Hannahx07

Hannahx07 New Member

thank you for this… I’ve asked around for a few quotes. One electrician stated that they recommend a new ring circuit for a new kitchen… he didn’t even ask what it looked like. Not sure whether I’m being taken for-granted with some here.

The cooker outlet and the 13a plug will be in the wall behind the lower cupboard next to the oven/hob with a cutout of the cabinet to give access, will this be okay?

My dad said that most likely the back box would have to be above the wall rather than in it due to the wall being thin and the stairs are on the other side. Does this seem reasonable?

18. chesterw

People have different interpretations of accessible, the isolation switch should be clearly visible and within reach ie not hidden in a cupboard

19. Hannahx07

Hannahx07 New Member

ahhh okay, yes the isolation switch will still be where it is now above the worktop. Just the hob cooker outlet and oven socket will be below

20. Hannahx07

Hannahx07 New Member

can you check my diagram please? Apparently some electrician said this way of wiring is a fire hazard and to “stick with batteries.” Of course the distance between outlet and plug socket will be shorter.

someone else told me that the 13a plug socket shouldn’t be wired using the cooker wiring, instead it should come from elsewhere but I’m getting so many contradicting opinions.

Attached Files: