Over pricing??

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Dereekoo, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

OK you professionals out there, am I ripping my little old lady next door off. It all started when her "old" gardener died and she asked me to do his work (cutting back garden grass for £12) Well I did the back garden and pulled in the front garden for the £12 in an hour. Since then have done a couple of painting jobs for here and whilst i am not a pro I think I do a reasonable job but not overly quick. if you had to charge on an hourly basis taking into consideration travelling time/breaks/etc what would you hourly rate be?? i know I am taking work off the pros but the little old lady likes the covenience of just shouting me over and not going through the hassle of getting quotes and having to be around when the works is done

2. handyman.

handyman. New Member

I charge by the hour. £30 first hr, £18 per hr thereafter, for each day of work.

This includes paying for; tax, NI, holiday pay, sick pay, van, tools, wear and tear or van and tools, £1 million of 3rd party insurance.........have i forgot anything else?

3. Telmay

Telmay New Member

I take it you are declaring your earings to the revenue?

4. britishblue

britishblue New Member

I take it you are declaring your earings to the
    revenue?

I didn't know dereekoo wore earrings.

BB

5. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

I take it you are declaring your earings to the
    revenue?

Oops forgot about that, how do I do that and how much more should I charge the little old lady to cover that.

6. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Thanks again BritishBlue - always picking me up on my spelling

7. britishblue

britishblue New Member

You're welcome Telmay. I wouldn't bother normally as it's easily done missing a letter. Just thought it was quite humorous this time.

BB

8. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Average hourly rate for P&D about £15-£20

Not sure this is any help but for all the I work do(mainly complete bathroom and kitchen fits) but some carpentry and decorating work also,i charge my normal rate £300per day or £37.50 per hour.

Materials extra but no mark up, but obviously charge to cover ordering time etc.

9. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

£300 per day - dream on !! You must have a lot of free time at those prices. Plumbers in London charge about £30 per hour

10. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

No, ive got close to six months backlog. I dont get everything I quote on but I am very busy. These are high end kitchens and bathrooms not ikea or band Q.

I also jointly run a refurbishment and renovation business (inherited from my father). Between the two business I am kept extremely busy.

i have been on holiday last week but we have just started a 3 week pub refurb so i am on site for the next couple of weeks then several kitchens fits to follow up with.

I have only recently, since my fathers unexpected death started to take an income from the Refurb business. My bathroom and kitchen fitting company was built from scratch with a hell of a lot of hard work, the catalyst was shortage of carpentry work at the time and the fact that I didn't want to be dependent on site work from my father.

Frankly I don't care what you earn but don't undersell yourself and don't knock without understanding the facts

11. hoss

hoss New Member

Here in norfolk subby/site work £100-£120 per day.
    Private work is a bit different, if you tell a customer £120 per day you normally get a sharp intake of breath followed by HOW MUCH.

12. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Looks like the original point has been missed on this one - it does not matter what we charge are where we are based as professionals. What the original post was asking, take into consideration that he is not a pro and basically odd jobbing, mainly out of this lady not wanting to find a pro as she gets on with her 'odd jobbing' neighbor. Its a simple answer, charge her what your happy to take and what shes happy to pay for the jobs you do. As pro's we have additional costs such as insurance, vans, advertising, clothing etc etc and of course tax and NI. With all this in mind your probably looking at £50 a day for an uninsured, untaxed cash taking non-pro decorator.

13. decorator A1

decorator A1 New Member

how fast are you, how good are you, how many cups of tea does she make, how do you sleep, £50 a day tops if you are working on the black

14. slapiton

slapiton New Member

thank you burlington, i thought it was only me.

15. slapiton

slapiton New Member

one question , as a non pro who can do it, if i get public liability insurance covering 2 million£. that will cost me £200. can i charge £300 per day instead of £50. oh yes theres the van and overalls to take into account, another £6 a day.

16. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Yeah right slapiton

So you can offer complete bathroom and kitchen fits including all plumbing, carpentry, tiling, plastering, decorating and before part p electric.

Oh yes and hows your paperwork and customer skills? ........Fairly poor if you only make £50 a day, get a job at Tesco.

Paul

17. john the painter

john the painter New Member

£300 a day been there done it, wish I earnt it every day though. Point is slapiton, if he wants to charge that and can get it good luck to him Like the man said he is at the top end and is a pro that can do it. people who say they are not pros but can do it very rarely can to the high standards that some clients expect. One other thing its all right doing your little cash jobs to get by and then get uppity about the extra £6 a day and liability etc etc but dont forget someone legit on £300 a day will be forking out for top end materials, high class van advertising etc etc etc oh and will be paying 40% tax.

one question , as a non pro who can do it, if i get public liability insurance covering 2 million£. that will cost me £200. can i charge £300 per day instead of £50. oh yes theres the van and overalls to take into account, another £6 a day

Nah saw the name slapiton stick with the £50 even then I think your overselling yourself

18. Telmay

Telmay New Member

I know guys who charge and earn their £300 a day down here in Sussex, high end = high price. As for £50 a day boys and his like I think I have seen then hanging around the Wickes burger caravan dressed in their old chavvy trainers and jeans with a scabby old motor full of Wickes trade paint, in fact more often than not more paint on the outside of the car - boasting about the job they have just done for the old dear down the road just before nipping off to the social to sign on before going down the boozer to talk a good days work!