Over zealous use of the descriptive term 'high integrity' in consumer units

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I checked the photos first, LEC, and I couldn't see the third section, only two. Anyway, Screwfix aren't interested in responding they just do what they like as usual. There are many false descriptive high integrity boards in their listings I cant be arsed to find them all as they cant either.

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

None of the links are working for me, I wonder if SF have pulled them?

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

As no one has provided me with a BS definition of "high integrity" it would appear that someone has a bee in his bonnet.
    Hagar (well respected manufacturer) shows "High Integrity" boards on their site as double 30mA RCD.
    If individuals wish to use main switch and numerous RCBO's, that is fine.
    RS

6. Lectrician

The forum software has truncated many of the links and so they won't work. The first wylex one will. The rest are badly formed URLs.

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Ok so I probably chose the wrong links. I know for a fact that Screwfix are over using the term and there are many CUs labelled as high integrity that aren't. Like I said, they don't appear to care. Sod 'em.

8. Lectrician

You copied and pasted the correct links, but he forum software has truncated them in it's formatting.

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

@Screwfix Peter

I am still seeing the wrong use of the term high integrity on the descriptions of your consumer units. Is it that you really want to mislead the public and use the term to boost sales by misleading use of the words? The following samples are not high integrity they are dual RCD. There are others too many to list.
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-...d-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit/4674g
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-...d-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit/7300g
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-...d-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit/3150g
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-...d-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit/4931j
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/chint-nx...d-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit/3627v

If the CU has THREE separate sections for the busbar, ie. Main Switch/section/RCCB/section/RCCB/section then it is high integrity. If it only has TWO then its just dual RCD. ie Main Switch/RCCB side-by-side/section/RCCB/section. The photographs show no space between the main switch and the first RCCB.

Your also using split-load and dual RCD ad-hoc. Dual RCD is two RCCBs on one board. Split load is no longer allowed in the 17th or 18th edition of the regulations unless RCBOs are used in the main switch only section. Split load used to be Main Switch only section on one half and RCD only on the other.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  10. Woloumbo

Woloumbo Active Member

What are you choosing to define as "high integrity" uPhased? Your first few links clearly have the option to include RCBOs in addition to the dual RCDs. This is indicated by the triple neutral bars. I am unsure with the Chint branded one, although it does have a third neutral bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  11. The BG ones are clearly high integrity with 3 neutral bars.The busbar is then cut to suit requirements.

12. Woloumbo

Woloumbo Active Member

I think uPhased should apologise to Screwfix. It's a very arrogant message. The Q&A section on the Chint confirms it allows RCBO's to be fitted. Answered by Chint themselves.

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Hi Lee, I've reported your latest incarnation and would draw your attention to the t 'n' c's...namely

6.3.9. impersonate any person or entity for the purpose of misleading others; ie your username.

and

· Using multiple identities on the site (ie magicspark); this is a tactic often used by trolls to try to create conflict.

so it won't be long before your binned off again.

14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Most of them look hi integrity to me, not that I would buy BG I find them total cak

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

It just infuriates me that companies that are supposed to be responsible and trustworthy just use throw away descriptions. In the eyes of Screwfix every damned CU is high integrity which clearly is NOT the case. Either someone within Screwfix marketing department hasn't got a scoobie doo what a high integrity CU actually is, or, they are blatantly misleading the buyer by using enhanced descriptions to make them feel they are getting more than they really are. Either way they need to sort it its becoming tedious. If they use a 'high integrity' description they MUST show the third section CLEARLY on the photograph, OR state somewhere in the specification that there are THREE neutral bars wired for three sections in the CU. If there is not three separate neutral bars it is NOT high integrity. The average buyer would not know how to rewire these boards to make them in to just two neutral bars. That is what is infuriating me, they are MISLEADING the buyer.

16. Woloumbo

Woloumbo Active Member

Every one of the Consumer Units you linked to yesterday and previously ARE high integrity. You have not shown a link to ANY standard dual split loads. The Screwfix blurbs are accurate for the products you have selected. You are wrong, and ranting about it makes you look a little silly,

Risteard likes this.
  17. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

integrity 2.
    the state of being whole and undivided.
    So would not a board where the neutral is divided many times be a low integrity unit?

I have found errors in Screwfix descriptions like a programmable thermostat saying SPST where it is in fact SPDT so yes errors, however I will guess you have a unqualified person writing out the description who uses a dictionary rather than adopting trade talk.

So a device which changes the input to it's out put has transformed the supply, often in more ways than one, not only transforming the voltage but also the frequency.
    From Wikipedia
    Driver circuit =
    In electronics, a driver is an electrical circuit or other electronic component used to control another circuit or component, such as a high-power transistor, liquid crystal display (LCD), and numerous others.

They are usually used to regulate current flowing through a circuit or to control other factors such as other components, some devices in the circuit. The term is often used, for example, for a specialized integrated circuit that controls high-power switches in switched-mode power converters. An amplifier can also be considered a driver for loudspeakers, or a voltage regulator that keeps an attached component operating within a broad range of input voltages.

Typically the driver stage(s) of a circuit requires different characteristics to other circuit stages. For example in a transistor power amplifier circuit, typically the driver circuit requires current gain, often the ability to discharge the following transistor bases rapidly, and low output impedance to avoid or minimize distortion.

So why call a simple DC power supply a "Driver" I can see why a current controlled supply is called a driver but not a voltage controlled one, they have been called power supplies for years why change?

But what we are still talking about is trade jargon, be it RCD, MCB, RBCO, FCU, or CU they may mean something to the trades man, but RCD to anyone who has anything to do with narrow boats is the recreational craft directive, I am sure all the other letters also mean some thing else.

so instead of high integrity why not simply state 1,2, or 3 neutral bus bars, there is simply no need for jargon.

18. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The Schneider dual RCD item 2777P is now listed a dual. You can also sort by either dual or high-integrity. I've not checked exactly all the specs but it looks about right to me. Might make more sense to sort them by number of neutral bars though.

19. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Could someone actually give a description of what ‘High Integrity’ means?
    I’m not sure if it means the board has enough room to fit an RCBO, whether it means it has an extra Neutral bar or whether it means it has no RCDs covering multiple circuits?

20. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

It's just marketing mumbo-jumbo afaic. No real definition, it just means three neutral bars.