Over zealous use of the term 'high integrity' when describing consumer units

Discussion in 'Screwfix Deals' started by unphased, Jul 7, 2018.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I wish to draw Screwfix's marketing departments attention to misleading and erroneous descriptions of consumer units in the Screwfix range.

I cite one example, there are too many to list. The Schneider dual RCD item 2777P is wrongly listed as being high integrity. It does not have a third busbar section where RCBOs can be placed outside of the the RCD protected banks of mcbs on the dual busbar arrangement. I would recommend that you closely examine all of your consumer unit descriptions to identify where the use of the high integrity description has been wrongly used. It appears to me that you just throw in the term willy nilly because you don't understand what it means. For a high integrity consumer unit it MUST have a separate (usually third but can be more) compartment within the unit where RCBOs or mcbs can be used separate from the dual RCD arrangements alongside. This third section is usually next to the main switch where no RCD protection is afforded to allow the use of individual circuit performance either with (RCBO) or without (mcb) RCD protection. It is sometimes necessary to have this option. Your product 2042P, the 2+5+5 CU is a good example of what is a high integrity CU and it is correctly described as such. Please would you sort this out because it makes a mockery of the system. It is misleading because the term has a sort of enhanced marketing feel to it which suggests it is somehow superior to have it. It is not. It just refers to a different type of CU and you are clearly over using the term.

Thank you for listening.

Pete Jones likes this.
  2. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

It's because they employ staff with very little if any technical experience, and I should know.

3. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Well said Unphased, as you say the word is being used as a misleading marketing tool rather than a description of a distinct product

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

There’s a Nobel peace prize up for grabs for someone methinks! :D

5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

It is not the only item wrongly described, the Flomasta 22199SX wired digital programmable thermostat (6259G) is described as 3-Wire Installation well yes it has three terminals, com, N/O and N/C and a dip switch to swap use, depending if used for heating or cooling. It also says SPST and it is clearly SPDT so in this case it does more not less than advertised.

So it does not seem to be an attempt to mislead, but an accident.

However if one selects an item to do a job, and then find it needs returning this clearly cost time, and so money, and it means one can't complete the job within the time expected.

But names like "High Integrity", "Bulb", "Fitting", "Lamp", "Driver", "Transformer", "Electronic Transformer", "Ballast", "Electronic Ballast", "Low Voltage" do not really have a definition, I have seen many a packet state "Low Voltage" clearly using the USA terminology as they are clearly extra low voltage, and although those in the trade may consider a driver as a current controlled power supply, manufacturers do call voltage regulated DC power supplies drivers.

I remember working as an Auto Electrician and ordering a head lamp, and that is what I got, but I wanted a bulb, which was not included. If you consider history then we has a spigot, and one the spigot fitted the lamp, and inside the lamp we has a wick, mantel, or bulb depending on the fuel, so yes lamp is the whole assembly.

So knowing that one would one hopes check before leaving the shop if the item is what you expect it to be, OK where it is a repeat order you don't bother, but you would check where the description is not cut and dried. I would check if a MR16 bulb is 12 volt or 230 volt for example, this advert however actually fails to say what voltage, it does not even say AC or DC some are marked 50 Hz I have noted, and technically it is not a MR16 as it does not have a multifaceted reflector, there is a note "Please check the suitability of your transformer before selecting your LED MR16 light bulb." so clearly it is designed for AC but an internet hunt on Screwfix web site does not come up with a single lighting transformer with a 50 Hz output. this unit you can actually see on the picture 50 Hz but nothing in the description to say 50 Hz or even AC, and I can't find a single wire wound transformer for sale which would deliver the 50 Hz written on the bulb.

But I know the lamps will likely work OK on both DC and kHz AC as long as the load on the power supply is high enough. And yes with a name like ElectroFix we would expect better descriptions.