Overflow pipe water discharge

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Sorin1, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Sorin1

Sorin1 New Member

hi all,

we just moved into a house, the boiler kept losing pressure so we had a plumber come and take a look at it. they concluded that the expansion vessel had no air in it, he pumped it up and everything was fine after.

However, since and even before, I noticed that there is water outside under the overflow pipe and I can see water coming out of it when the boiler runs. There is so much water that it penetrated though the brick wall in one place. However, the boiler did not lose pressure once since the plumber came. The pressure does increase when the heating is on but it never goes past 2.5bars (or otherwise reach the 'red' level marks), it sits at around 1.2-1.4 bars when not running. I checked the top-up valves and they are off. Any thoughts?...

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If water is coming from the safety discharge pipe then the system must be filling up somehow.
    Pictures may help identify issues.

3. Sorin1

Sorin1 New Member

what should I take pictures of? there is nothing obviously wrong with the boiler, just water where the discharge pipe is..

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Boiler.
    Pressure gauge.
    Filling loop.
    For water to be coming out the system then water must be getting in.

5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Also show a picture that includes where the overflow is discharging.