Overhead Supply

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by GH, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. GH

    GH New Member

    Please can someone tell me what type of electricity supply I have (I would like to check that when the house is rewired, the right sort of CU protection is put in). I have three overhead cables that come to the external wall of my house (the middle cable looks slightly thicker than the top and bottom cables) and on the inside of the wall there is a black plastic cable for live and neutral and a separate earth cable. The live and neutral connect to the meter and then, via a 100 Amp isolator to the CU and the earth connects directly to the CU. I'm not sure that there are any earth rods. Many thanks
  2. Light_spark

    Light_spark New Member

    well for there to be a earth cable i assume there is a earth rod installed. Best thing to do is call a spark out and ask him to do a earth route check.
  3. GH

    GH New Member

    Thanks Light Spark. I guess I wondered whether one of the three overhead cables would be the earth (I've heard a lot about two cable overhead supplies but nothing about three cable supplies)
  4. sinewave

    sinewave Screwfix Select

    If you have three separate cables/lines coming to your house then you almost certainly have a TN-S supply. You may have an earth rod also but as stated the only way to no for definite is to get a Spark in (Not SID) to appraise the system.
  5. GH

    GH New Member

    thanks Sinewave- will do

Share This Page