Padstone worries

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Sunny20, Sep 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Sunny20

Sunny20 New Member

Hi, I'm hoping you can help to put my mind at rest. The SE stated my builder was to use 440 x 215 x 102 padstones but he had to use a 500x 100 x 150 instead on one side due to positioning of major stones in the exterior stone wall. I've been told by the Building inspector that this needs to be okayed with the SE before he will sign off the work. Is this likely to be okay. Its got me worried. Thanks in advance.

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Only the SE can answer that and put your mind at rest!
    Cando

3. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

On the face of it no: SE has spec'd a pad with an area of 95,000 sqmm. Your builder has only given you a tad over half that.

You may be OK if SE is prepared to check it. I always specify 1 padstone size only to avoid confusion (based on the highest load obviously) so many of mine could be reduced.

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The builder and the SE need to communicate in a meaningful and recordable manner.

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Who employed the SE?

If it was you then you need to speak to him and get a proper first hand opinion of what is right. BC will need confirmation if the build doesn't match the submitted calcs.

6. mitefix

mitefix Active Member

Take out the Pad stones and fit what was on the spec.

I guess that's what it boil down to.

7. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I agree, that will be the bottom line, if not why bother with a SE and calcs?

8. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

If the padstone is properly fitted then it is actually better to leave it as jacking up, breaking out, repacking etc raises the risk of cracking in the structure. PROVIDED IT IS STRUCTURALLY OK. So back to SE. Any costs clearly to be deducted from builder.

9. mitefix

mitefix Active Member

Yes if the SE will put his name to it as it then leave it.
    if not it will need removing.

10. mitefix

mitefix Active Member

I have never understood when Builders don't follow what's Specified.

It just comes back to bite you in the end.