Paint cracking on kitchen wall

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by ciberman, Feb 5, 2011.

1. ciberman

ciberman New Member

I have been asked by a customer to paint her kitchen walls.  I intend to use Dulux Kitchen Paint.
    The problem I have is that the existing paint used is ordinary emulsion and is starting to crack in places.  How can I prepare the surface to avoid further cracking?

Many thanks

2. apl

apl Member

ciberman,

Has the surface of the paint cracked or are the cracks deeper than that and in the wall plaster?

3. ciberman

ciberman New Member

Hi apl

Only the paint has cracked. The plaster is sound.

Ciberman

4. apl

apl Member

I would wash the walls with sugar soap and rinse, then inspect the areas that are cracked. I'd give the area a sand with 120 grit wet and dry (use dry) to remove any paint that is loose/flaking around the cracks. If the paint starts to come away from the surface underneath then you need to remove it all until you can't remove any more and you take it back to a clean, firm, sharp edge. Or, you may well find the paint is sound when you sand the cracks. It all depends on what you discover when you start prepping.

Either way when you have sanded I would fill out the areas with tertrion (or easifil) then sand again. A second fill and sand may be necessary.

Then give the walls a diluted coat of your chosen paint and when dry inspect before putting further coats on.

Alternativley, when prepped you could apply lining paper to the kitchen walls and then paint. Like i said it all depends what you discover when you start the prep.

Hope this helps

5. ciberman

ciberman New Member

Many thanks for your advice apl.

Ciberman

6. apl

apl Member

Thanks for the feedback ciberman. However, please don't mark your question as answered until you have completed your job and also until other posters have offered advice too.
    Cheers mate