Paint dries much quicker in the top floor of a house. Causing flow problems and poor coat texture

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by phoebe goldup, Apr 30, 2021.

1. phoebe goldup

phoebe goldup Member

Good evening all.

I have noticed in a few jobs now that in the top of a building, particularly on ceilings, paint dries as I apply it to the ceiling and this creates lots of track marks and pitting.

This is only the second time I've noticed this but yesterday I started coating 3 rooms in the top of a house I have spent ages prepping to a high standard. The ceiling was skimmed 1-2 months ago and had dried out. I mist coated it, then a few days later when I applied a full coat, slightly diluted, I noticed I couldn't get the paint on quick enough and it seemed to dry very quickly and it created very visible tracks and uneven texture. I pole sanded it and ran another coat in the opposite direction and had the same experience, so I rubbed it back again a bit more fiercely and invited a very experienced decorator to help me brush it. We brushed it together and noticed it was drying as we were brushing it and when it dried the ceiling was covered in raised brush marks as if the paint just set as soon as it was applied and never settled. This was on the third floor of a house and there is no such problem on the lower two floors, paint dries lovely on skimmed areas and old, settles down, completely flattens out. Whats going on in attic spaces. Is it air flow /temperature? And is there a solution to my problems.

Best wishes and TIA

phoebe

@Astramax @Wayners @Dr Decorator @CGN

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I’m not a decorator by trade phoebe. I thin trade paint down with water before painting to allow it to flow better. Certain surfaces will suck more than others. I’ve just over painted a large room that I sprayed out with my sprayer, as I wanted a rollered finish. Only leyland contract Matt, but thinned down, went on beautifully.

phoebe goldup likes this.
  3. phoebe goldup

phoebe goldup Member

The multitraders on facebook are saying the plasterer might not have "trowelled" his plaster properly, it hasnt "set" and is too porous and sucking the moisture out of the paint too quickly?o_O I dunno

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How many forums are you asking :confused:......too many conflicting replies no doubt!

Simple answer would have been to seal it with Gardz, 123 etc or if really desperate line it with 800 grade.

5. phoebe goldup

phoebe goldup Member

Thanks, only 2 forums @Astramax ! I like to do a large survey and decide who's opinion sounds most practical, which is usually yours!

But I really want to know WHAT is causing the problem. Why does the water get sucked out of the paint so quick in an attic space. Is it ventilation?

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Contract matt used to prime? Chalky and dry? Use something else that will seal then get bigger roller like 15 Inc plus. Bigger the better.
    Best way to avoid problems like this on lids (ceilings) is to spray if you are really fussy

7. phoebe goldup

phoebe goldup Member

Thank you @Wayners ! It was F&B estate emulsion diluted to prime, as instructed by client. Whats the best sealer for new plaster? Gaurdz?

8. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

There will also be a noticeable difference in temperature and humidity at the top. I have a bedroom wall that peaks at almost 5m and see a similar problem when doing that wall - the top dries almost instantaneously whereas the bottom is fine. Next time, which will be soon, I intend to do it on a cool day, then have a fan running at high level for a few hours before hand to really mix the air, maybe with a boiling kettle to increase humidity too.

9. phoebe goldup

phoebe goldup Member

so glad to hear someone else has noticed this variation in drying time relating to height. I was worried I sounded a bit mad

10. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

It is not really related to absolute height though, just that the relative height has different atmospheric conditions. I know, in my case, there is a significant temperature gradient, maybe up to 8 degrees or more and RH is lower - not easy to change without a nice big ceiling mounted fan!

Use the advice given by others above they do way more painting than I do, or will ever wish to!

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Leyland acrylic primer undercoat adding some water to first coat. Something I give it two. Depends.
    I'd of used that prior to estate emulsion. The application data sheet is a bit unclear imo with primer requirement it seems but I like to seal surface a bit. Gardz works but can seal too much and is clear vs tinted or white acrylic primer

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Phoebe you need to wear a white bib and brace. ;), I don't feel dressed without wearing one.

Jord86 likes this.
  13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

But you're retired? :confused: :) Or if it's naughty things, I'd rather not know.....

Astramax likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

OK...change don't to didn't! ;):D

15. phoebe goldup

phoebe goldup Member

Thank you Wayners.
    I take your advice on board and will use it. I thought the mist coat was supposed to be low on vinyl, kind of breathable like a super latex so it could all be sucked into the plaster but you're telling me that Leyland's acrylic primer undercoat is good for it. This is news to me but I'm interested to find out more

Wayners likes this.
  16. phoebe goldup

phoebe goldup Member

Thank you Astramax, yes I am now trying to look a little more profesh and you'll be relieved to know I do wear a bib and brace at work!

Astramax likes this.