Paint for skirting boards ?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Taz9126, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Taz9126

Taz9126 Member

Hi
    I've been in a few houses lately and the skirting boards look like a matt finish (white)
    And think it looks quite nice !
    I normally use water based gloss (Leyland) this still has a mis sheen as don't like the yellowing if oil based or the proper shiny finish
    Any of you professionals any idea what type of paint gives the matt type look ??
    Thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Acrylic Eggshell, the tough one is Dulux Diamond Eggshell, non yellowing water base product, (or any brand Acrylic Eggshell will do if toughness is not an issue).

3. Taz9126

Taz9126 Member

Is the acrylic water based or solvent based ?
    I was trying to get away from the string paint smell lol
    But if the eggshell is the matt looking finish I guess I can tolerate it
    What's the satinwood like ? Or is that still with a sheen ?
    Thanks

4. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I have used the Diamond eggshell for my skirting and stairs, with a bit of advice from @Astramax, and like the finish. Just a slight hint of sheen to it, no where near gloss. It's water based and will benefit from 10% or so dilution with water, in my amateur experience, to get a decent finish specially if applying it in hot weather. Use the best possible synthetic brushes.

Really tough and you can scrub it without it coming off which is certainly a benefit for skirting, even more so in the kitchen.

Astramax likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Good home brand at B&Q durable matt emulsion can be used on woodwork. Says so on tub.
    That's the cheap option but premium paint brands sell matt finish for woodwork