Paint for wooden exterior gate

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by dagsky, Apr 23, 2018.

1. dagsky

dagsky New Member

hi all, i was hoping i could get some advice on what paint to use for my newly built exterior wooden gate/door. I've made it out of untreated timber (2x4 & shiplap board), i know, should have used treated board! The neighbour says he painted his with just undercoat and then normal gloss paint, i'm not sure if i should do the same thing.

I don't fancy spending a lot on paint as i only need the gate to last 5yrs as this is a rented place. Looking for the final colour to be black please.

Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Alwaysworking

Alwaysworking Active Member

I used masonry paint on a double gate once as it was all I had and couldn't be bothered to go out and buy anymore, that was 4 years ago, still looking good.

AW

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Don't paint it then, just apply 2 coats of clear preservative will last 5 years plus some.

5. dagsky

dagsky New Member

thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Excellent the Bedec Barn Paint

You say you don’t want to spend a lot of dosh on paint so the above may seem expensive at 1st......

But you can slap it right on to bare timber - no primer or undercoat required so saves money (unless you already have these items)

Water based as well, available in Matt, satin, gloss

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Or any fence paint you may find in your shed! The Bedec Barn Paint would be expensive for such a small area based on your original post requirements.