Paint over spray on a acrylic bath

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by ashwales, Jun 11, 2018.

1. ashwales

ashwales New Member

Had a painter in and he made a right mess on my brand new bath! Whats the easiest way to get it all off?

Cheers

2. RolandK

RolandK Active Member

Depends how long it's been on there I guess. I'd try some hot water with washing up liquid and one of those abrasive bath cleaning sponges but make sure it is suitable for an acrylic bath so you don't scratch it. Failing that CIF cream is pretty good at this type of thing. Or get the painter back to sort it!

3. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Get painter to supply & new bath at his expense.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  4. RolandK

RolandK Active Member

Good point KIAB makes.
    It's very poor attitude the painter had to your property. How long would it have taken to protect the bath? Total disrespect for your property. He might have liability insurance if you're lucky. Possibly with the OK Coral insurance company?

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

And fit.:rolleyes::oops:

6. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Have a word with my wife let! :D:p:p

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Importantly we haven’t asked what type of paint is it ?

Yes, realistically the painter should be dealing with this and obviously, with covering the bath in the first instance, you wouldn’t/shouldn’t be in this situation

So emuslion from walls, ceiling or trim paint (woodwork), oil based or water based

8. Astramax

What colour is the paint.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Me thinks ur taking the * a little bit Astra and possibly aimed at my comment ?

Surely the type of paint is an important factor here with regards to cleaning, would you not say ?

Colour won’t be of such an importance, the paint needs to come off regardless

Anything else enlightening you wish to add ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2018
  10. Astramax

Yes, very important, how long has the paint been on the bath?

11. Astramax

And what if anything have you tried to clean it off with so far?

12. RolandK

RolandK Active Member

Yes it matters what type of paint is on the bath but also a problem it being an acrylic bath. Going to be very easy to damage trying to get the paint off.

13. Astramax

If the op reply's to these questions the problem can be relatively easily corrected I'm sure.

14. Astramax

Waiting for a reply here, has your Mrs drowned you in the bath. :eek:

15. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Microfibre cloth and hot water with bathroom cleaner like cif. Steamer will work to if bad but be sensible.The trick is get it warm and it will go soft. I'd try microfibre cloth with hot soapy water with lots of elbow grease. Masking tap and plastic to cover next time . hay

Astramax likes this.
  16. Astramax

If it's emulsion paint splashes they can be removed with Methylated Spirit on a sponge or microfiber cloth, then cleaned up with cif.

ashwales likes this.
  17. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

I nearly said that but it's not recommended on acrylic although I've used in the past. You got shares in Microfibre Inc?

Astramax likes this.
  18. Astramax

No, in Meths. :D

19. Astramax

Just going to apply some meths to my bath, probably will clean it up a treat! ;)

20. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Yeah. I've used as its a good cleaner. Just what I read it harming plastic. Off for swim now as that gets the paint off me :)