Paint peeling off in sheets after 2nd coat

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Jp88, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Jp88

Jp88 New Member

Hi
    I've recently removed some old wallpaper from our dining room (1 wall) and the paint underneath was peeling off in patches with the wallpaper. So I decided to scrape all the paint off with a scraper and sand the wall down with 120 grit. Then the wall was washed down with sugar soap and let to dry for a few hours. There was some patches of bare plaster so I painted the wall with one coat of leyland trade acrylic undercoat primer as I had a tin here. Left that to dry for a full 24 hours before I gave the wall 2 coats of wilko durable matt paint (I wouldn't of chosen it but its what the missus wanted!)
    Now I've just finished the 2nd coat and I could see air bubbles appearing in a few places so I went to investigate and the the paint is peeling off in big sheets

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Distemper or something chalky on the wall? This would wash or mechanical sand off.
    The acrylic primer is really good and will stick to most things but 50+ year old paint has no vinyl in and degrading now so you need to get it off.
    I use orbital sander on vac to get distemper like paints off.

Or.....

Another problem with durable emulsions is the recoat times. Too quick with the second coat will cause the first coat to soften and bubble. Go digging and it will peal off. Also durable emulsions can stay soft for a few days or even over a week before they harden fully. I suspect you got second coat on too quickly causing bubbles then dug and the soft paint started pealing... Forgive me if I'm wrong. It's a common problem

Do follow the application guide although I'd say give it a bit longer.
    My own kitchen durable paint started to bubble so I left it a day. Fine filler in the spots. Prime then second coat applied with no problem.

Jp88 likes this.
  3. Jp88

Jp88 New Member

Yeah it is a chalky like white paint underneath. I have managed to get half of it off just by peeling it by hand, the 2 emulsion layers along with the acrylic primer undercoat!

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Bodge cheapo orbital sander on vacuum with 80 grade and get at it.
    Sometimes use 120grade..

Wash off any left if you can then apply Gardz for belt and braces.

Fill and spot prime filler.
    Paint again

5. Jp88

Jp88 New Member

I am tempted to try a steamer and scraper. I've got most of the soft bits off and the rest seems pretty well stuck on. More sanding the missus is gonna love me lol

Attached Files:

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Duck tape and pull helps keep the pealing going.

Don't sand unless you have have plastic on floor taped to edges and vac bodged on vac

Jp88 likes this.