Paint peeling when sanded

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by EMcG, Apr 16, 2019.

1. EMcG

EMcG Member

Thanks

2. EMcG

EMcG Member

Ok, the bad news is that it peels with your thumbnail, but the VERY good news is that the skirtings are fine. It’s just the door frame and window ledge that are peeling, and thinking back we did touch those areas up about 3 years ago when we rearranged the furniture.

Thanks for all the advice!

3. Sam09862

Sam09862 New Member

Use primer then undercoat. Don't bother with primer/undercoat 2 in 1s as I find it not as effective.

IF you have damp use hardener on wood before doing above.

4. EMcG

EMcG Member

Well, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I’m having shocking trouble using this Coverstain. I’ve followed the instructions closely but it’s like painting with treacle.

I’m working quickly but it’s just dragging and not flowing at all. Can I let it down with anything? I’m assuming so as it’s supposed to be sprayable?

I’ve only tried it on the window ledge so far, will have a big sanding job tomorrow to get all the ridges out.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Stick some white spirit in but not to much. Don't half slow the drying though. I roll on with 4 Inc Hamilton or ice fusion but it its heavy build out which is why its used .. Sands down nice though. Its a warm day which won't help as dose dry off fast

6. EMcG

EMcG Member

Thanks, I shall persevere!

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes it was aimed especially at you, not for the suggestion of using wet and dry paper which is correct and something Wayners suggested in a similar post several months ago. Going ballistic is OTT even for you DIYDave, I used language I thought you would understand but realised it was not strong enough so deleted the message myself the moderator didn't, on rewriting the post in the language that you being a chef might understand better as it came from the Gordon Ramsey book of Etiquette, I couldn't post it as you had got me banned (we in the trade call that 'grassed up') before that was possible.

First ban after circa 15 years of posting and a free Screwfix Pete holiday in 'Bornmoth' taken there and back in his taxi with all expenses paid by DIYDave cant be all that bad.