paint thickness on external doors

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by woodburner, Sep 14, 2009.

1. woodburner

woodburner New Member

Hello,

I have some external doors to hang and am wondering what I should allow for a coat of primer, two undercoats, and two top coats of gloss?

I have got this wrong in the past and it has taken ages to rectify.

Any advice much appreciated,

Wb

2. sambuca

sambuca New Member

The norm is to allow the thickness of a 50p piece around all edges, make sure that you seal the top and especially the bottom edges before hanging as h this is where dampness normally gets in and causes swelling.

Sam

3. woodburner

woodburner New Member

Thanks Sam,

Funny you should say this because I had used the traditional 2p before and last night thought to myself just use a pound coin instead but 50p would be easier to handle as it is larger.

Wb

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Old 50p, I presume!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

er, excuse me, but i dont think the question posed has actually been answered, in any way, shape or form

6. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

me: 1 coat of primer, 1 undercoat (always use on exterior paintwork) and two gloss. use oil based whilst they are still available, much longer lasting.

7. woodburner

woodburner New Member

Thanks Ponty,

I am using Dulux Weathershield Exterior Gloss - three part system. I am not a pro so will see how it looks after the first undercoat and how much sanding it needs.

Wb