Paint to reduce heat gain in a conservatory

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by diymostthings, Jul 7, 2017.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Hi - my Auntie is complaining that on these hot days her conservatory gets unbearable hot. She can't afford the proper solution (i.e. fitted blinds) but I told her that I thougth there was a type of paint which can be painted on the glass just for a temporary measure in summer and then removed in the winter. Now I have Googled the universe I'm begining to think i must have dreamt it!

Is there such a paint? What is the white stuff you see painted on windows when decoration in in progress - that would do nicely!

Thanks for any advice/pointers/suppliers.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Windowlene glass cleaner.

KIAB likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It is possible to buy a white waterbased mix as put on greenhouse glass to reduce heat penetration, I would imagine a garden centre may be a good place to look.:)

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Look on ebay....Solar reflective paint for glass. ;)

KIAB likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Also Solar reflective film is brill, sold in many shades ,silver, gold, bronze etc costs a little more than the paint but is permanent.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

7. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Thanks Phil and to all the other respondents. Well they all look good but (except for Astramax's windolene idea - they all look as though they are (a) "permanent" (I want to be able to remove it for winter) and (b) painted on the outside. (I want it inside for ease of access/removal).

So - thanks once again all for taking the time to help.I think I will go for the "Windolene" solution. Sounds neat, effective and cheap!

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

And it smells nice too :p