Paint wall looks darker?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by ben100, Nov 30, 2020.

1. ben100

ben100 Member

I painted this wall white but there is an area that keeps on coming out looking like a shaded darker. The pictures attached are as I am sanding it down now but what do I do to stop it coming out like that when I paint it?

71252592-A2CC-443D-95ED-10CAB0A113F6.jpeg 4D6ECE52-09D5-42C5-8C8A-7E1F0377763D.jpeg 7428EC86-23C9-4CFF-A26D-F5141D237EC2.jpeg 46FFDF78-494B-46C6-AFCA-203E9FFB29F4.jpeg

2. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Are you sure it’s the paint?

To me it looks like there may have been a doorway that’s been boarded over and plastered or an area of wall that’s been re-plastered but not very well.

3. ben100

ben100 Member

No doorway there before, when I paint the whole wall it’s just that section that has that shaded look to it just want to know how to make sure it doesn’t come out like that again which is why I’m giving sanding it all down a go but just need some advice if that will help?

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As above and going on photos attached

It’s not the paint - could apply a 100 coats and would still be visible

It’s poor building/plaster boarding/plastering/ etc - or a combination of all three

Only way forward is to hack of plaster either side of that ridge, see what’s going on underneath, repair, fill/skim, seal and then paint entire wall again

No brand of paint, colour, style or amount will cover that and make it disappear - sorry but that’s fact

Nanook likes this.
  5. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Exactly as DIYDave says.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Looks like the same wall as the one you were asking about during October! Solid wall or plaster boarded.

7. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

The other way around this is, if you don’t want to take the wall apart is to sand down, fill and flatten as much as possible and then wallpaper over the entire wall with either super thick lining paper or a wallpaper which is a fair thickness and has a pattern to deflect the eye away from the bodge or both.

Still no guarantee though that when the light hits the area in a certain way that you won’t see the uneven surface underneath but it will help to minimise it.

You are essentially polishing a **** though. Depends on what you can live with and what you can’t.

8. ben100

ben100 Member

It is I painted the whole wall as advised back then but it still came out the same. Wall is plaster board.

9. techie

techie Screwfix Select

It's a feature of what's known as "Colour and Appearance". For example, if you have a piece of smooth red plastic and then scratch some of the visible area, there is then a difference in the perceived colour due to the difference in the reflection from the now two different surfaces. It a problem often seen in printing and coating industries.

I realise this won't help you with the problem but maybe it will help to understand the reason for the different appearance on the wall.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The plaster board is no flat therefore casting different light and shadows.

Nanook likes this.