Painting a ceiling in gloss finish

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Epaint, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Epaint

Epaint New Member

Has anyone ever been asked or indeed attempted this? I have never glossed a ceiling before and this one is a huge 5m x 6m Edwardian lounge complete with cornicing! I’m assuming a water-based gloss would be easier to roller, however I thought spray gun would give a better finish. Obviously the gloss will show up all lumps and bumps but this doesn’t seem to deter my customer! Any thoughts/help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You will have to seal the ceiling first with an undercoat or may be worth considering using a Zinsser product such as AllCoat (waterbase) Gloss as it is a multi surface primer, sealer and finish.

3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Seen it done load of times. Usually in kitchens that I'm ripping out. Usually in colours popular in the 1950's.

4. Epaint

Epaint New Member

Thanks both, sealing it for sure and yes, seems a tad mental to bring back the 60s but there you go! Looked at a lot of design trends and this seems to be coming back! Just more concerned about an application

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Don't think you will encounter any serious problems as really no significant difference from any other paint, pub walls and ceilings always used to be covered in high gloss as it was easy to keep clean with a good wash.

Epaint likes this.
  6. Epaint

Epaint New Member

Thanks!

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Definitely undercoat and add an extender to the gloss. Use waterbased gloss. Not used Dulux trade gloss in years but was always the thinest and may work the best to roll. Maybe add extender to it.
    I glossed large bathroom and walls with oil gloss many years ago. Omg. The fumes were so strong. Horrible job...

8. Epaint

Epaint New Member

Thanks @Wayners - thought the water based route was the best way to go!