Painting a roofbox

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Tangoman, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

I have a good quality roofbox that is in generally excellent condition except for the top which is really weather beaten.

I'm thinking of giving it a spray with acryclic - I've done a number of jobs with acrylic spray now and generally pleased with the results, but nothing like a roofbox.

I've read past posts that suggested the flexibility of the box meant that paint would crack, but i wonder if that pre-dates modern acrylics which I understand are pretty flexible.

Ideally I'd spray it black (it's pale grey at the moment), but wondering if safer to spray close to original colour. Also wondering whether it needs lacquering after like a car wood, reading around sounds like that's just for metallic paints though.

What I don't want to do is end up with a roofbox in a worse condition than it is now due to a bad paint job lol, so any advice/experience of this kind of thing would be helpful.